Talk

Advanced search

Interesting document about Year 7 Levels

(5 Posts)
HPFA Thu 07-Jan-16 18:47:09

I came across this rather interesting document from the Royal Latin school (a Bucks grammar) which says what the average child is achieving there at the end of Year 7.

learning.royallatin.bucks.sch.uk/file.php/1/Student%20Progress/yr7_expected_progress_summer.pdf.

Confirmed my view that DD is better off at outstanding comp rather than a grammar, is achieving very well in Humanities but would be seriously overwhelmed in Maths!

Bolognese Thu 07-Jan-16 19:37:28

Not sure I get your point, the generic targets for able pupils are level eight by the end of KS3, you cant get any better? Why is that not good?

titchy Thu 07-Jan-16 19:54:25

I'm not sure your point either - they say the average child will be 6b in maths by end year 7, and that they expect a full level of progress in a year, so the average kid comes into year 7 at 5b - which I'd expect from a grammar. (Actually I'd expect the average to be higher!)

The expected levels of progress don't seem unreasonable, and they give a range depending on year 9 target.

HPFA Thu 07-Jan-16 20:01:24

Sorry that my point wasn't clear -I meant that she is actually exceeding these levels in Humanities (she is in year 7) but is nowhere near a 6B in Maths. So I think she would have become very discouraged about her Maths at a grammar whereas at her comp she is somewhere in the middle. Hope that makes more sense.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 07-Jan-16 20:04:01

But these levels seem out of date to me, referencing an older national Curriculum and year 9 SATs exams. Are they for this year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now