Talk

Advanced search

Classes on animal cruelty

(18 Posts)
Deborah51 Wed 06-Jan-16 15:37:32

Hi my daughter is in year 9 and they are going to be shown videos on animal cruelty, skinning etc... A total animal lover she obviously is very distressed and doesn't want to see this, we all know it goes on but I don't see the advantage of having to watch it, what rights does she have for not participating.

JellyTotCat Wed 06-Jan-16 15:41:31

What is the purpose of being shown that? Surely the kids who would never do that will be appalled and the kids who would do that will enjoy seeing that. I don't see the point.

bojorojo Wed 06-Jan-16 15:54:50

What part of the curriculum involves animal cruelty and watching a film like this? Just not appropriate in my view. Is it a "pet topic" of the teacher? Is he/she signed up to an animal cruelty charity and is now "spreading the word" to vulnerable young people? I would ask for my child to be excused and ask questions of the Head of Year regarding the appropriateness of the topic and film.

titchy Wed 06-Jan-16 15:58:26

Is she actually going to be shown a video of an animal being skinned, or is this the year 9 rumour mill at large? Find out your facts first - from a teacher! Then post....

Deborah51 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:00:42

The topic is called Media and Non fiction, I know if she sees this it will never leave her mind, I'm going to speak with said teacher but am I within my rights to not let her attend these classes

Deborah51 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:05:50

Thanks titchy, my facts are all founded, teacher said they are going to be watching etc ..,,,, I don't need advice as to what and when I can post

titchy Wed 06-Jan-16 16:08:05

No you can't opt out. But I can almost guarantee they won't be shown anything distressing - for one thing the video would be given an 18 certificate if it was as gory as they're making out so they wouldn't be able to watch it.

13 year old girls are very good at exaggerating and making dramas out of very little smile

bojorojo Wed 06-Jan-16 16:21:29

Actually I have seen very, very distressing videos shown by charities to anyone!! Some have scenes nothing to do with this country and the audience is not regulated. Clearly the children are going to be asked about the impact of the video. I still would have thought a less contentious and potentially upsetting video could have been found to illustrate the point and get the students talking.

Deborah51 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:32:17

She's just checked with her friends that she heard right and they said yes and they are dreading it, il speak to school in the morning

Bolognese Wed 06-Jan-16 16:37:35

One persons animal skinning (cruelty) is another persons preparing the animal for consumption and an important part of learning where food comes from.

irvine101 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:58:57

Way I see it, is that we live in such a sheltered world.
When I travelled to some countries, I've seen animal hanging up in the garden and children playing right next to it. It must have been their dinner.
My child knows where meat comes from.
But if your DD is distressed about it, can you ask the teacher so she doesn't have to see it?

Deborah51 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:05:07

Il ask that in the morning, the lesson (s) are on animal abuse/cruelty not animals for food

DeliaSmithsOvenGlove Wed 06-Jan-16 17:07:28

I assume this will be the skinning of dead animals? In which case can you articulate why this is any different from any other butchery or meat prep? Why is carcass preparation upsetting? Most children eat meat and it's important that they understand its connection to animals and farming.

It is incredibly unlikely that any school will show an animal being live-skinned

irvine101 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:10:28

Sorry. But still, I would rather my child see it and learn what's happening in the world. .But I can understand it's a very sensitive subject, and want not your DCs to see it.

enderwoman Wed 06-Jan-16 17:31:42

The family may be vegan in which case I think they should be able to ask that their daughter doesn't see the video.

Lurkedforever1 Wed 06-Jan-16 19:05:51

I think it's good they're showing it, as the reason animal cruelty continues is because many people are clueless about it. And I agree it's unlikely to contain the worst aspects.

However, as an adult who is fully aware of the gruesome details of animal cruelty, I wouldn't want to watch any film/ hear any more details, let alone want my daughter to watch it, so I think you have a right to back up your dds wishes. I would. (despite the fact neither of us is remotely squeamish about dead animals or even killing them when necessary)

JellyTotCat Wed 06-Jan-16 23:31:33

What subject is it? Or is it an assembly? I had a quick google to see if i could see anything about animal cruelty videos being shown in schools but couldn't see anything. Let us know what comes of it.

Deborah51 Wed 06-Jan-16 23:58:53

Will do, thanks for the comments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now