Year 9 CAT scores- how to interpret?

(5 Posts)
LumpyMattress Tue 05-Jan-16 10:47:07

My dd1 is 13 and has recently moved school. Her CAT score, from a test in the autumn term, was 105.

She is good verbally but finds maths at school difficult, despite being good at non verbal reasoning ( I know she scored well on this in a year 7 test).

What might I be able to conclude from that score, pleAse? Her self esteem is very low at the moment and I'd like to think this isn't too bad a score for someone with very low confidence.

Any thoughts?

SweepTheHalls Tue 05-Jan-16 10:50:18

The scores are scaled so 100 is an 'average' mark.

LumpyMattress Tue 05-Jan-16 11:09:07

So... Slightly above average? In line with which GCSE grades?

camptownraces Tue 05-Jan-16 16:10:35

You've probably been given the overall CAT4 score.

CAT4 is capable of producing detailed exam predictions based on the four or five subtests included, but these have probably, and quite wisely not been passed on to parents. Partly because they don't tell the whole story: motivation and work ethic make a lot of difference. Different subjects will be predicted different grades.

Sometimes schools don't ask for this kind of output from the tests, in which case they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Blue14 Sun 10-Jan-16 07:30:46

I don't know why you would be given this score. It has no meaning to an individual. It is just one of thousands of values used to give a statistical analysis of the whole cohort performance. It is meaningless on its own, and is in fact meaningless when combined with all the other values as well. In fact, the whole operation is meaningless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now