Talk

Advanced search

Boarding school 'matrons' present

(6 Posts)
ErnesttheBavarian Sat 19-Dec-15 08:17:57

No idea what you would call them in english. Ds goes to a boarding school not in UK I'd like to take the people who look after the kids a present. There are 2 main people ( 1 man about 40 and 1 woman who I've not met but can be several others depending on who has night duty etc. SO under these circa any ideas what I could get these people? They all seem to do a really great job and ds is very happy btw. Do I get a big tub of sweets to share (seems boring) or a present for the 2 main people only?

happygardening Sat 19-Dec-15 08:35:10

We only buy for the main people, nothing too over the top as many schools have quite strict policies on accepting gifts, I lack imagination so I buy the usual stuff flowers chocolates wine etc. I'd love to come up with something more imaginative but can never think of anything so will watch with a interest at what's suggested.

Gruach Sat 19-Dec-15 10:40:14

Alcohol.fgrin

I must say I've never heard of boarding school staff being constrained to decline (overly) generous gifts. (Though I have often wondered if cases of wine or use of a ski chalet make any difference to Theodore/dora's prominence in the next school play ...)

happygardening Sat 19-Dec-15 12:59:21

I think you'll find Gruach that in this and age of parliamentary expenses scandals and bent police institutions like the NHS and social services definitely have to have policies on accepting gifts and I you'll find many independent schools also feel they have to be equally transparent. I guess this particularly applies to schools that are very over subscribed.
I've also got in the head that technically you are meant to declare substantial gifts to the revenue though I could be wrong about that.

LIZS Sat 19-Dec-15 13:02:48

House parents? I would have thought sweets, biscuits or wine. Glad ds1 settled in the end.

In UK I've recently heard of iPads and fine wine so not all are that transparent!

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 19-Dec-15 22:06:56

Well there'll be no ipads for the kids never mind house parents that's for sure. And I doubt any wine I ever buy could be considered fine eitherfwink but I've run down to the shop 2 minutes before closing and bought them a bottle of red each. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's a state school btw if that makes any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now