Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

nat 5

(5 Posts)
litha131 Wed 16-Dec-15 23:49:45

Hope somebody will be able to help me here... may be I am just panicking. My sons school does 8 national 5 in S4. Even though he is very bright he is very adamant that he is not going to do nat 5 in french, as he thinks its pointless. However my worry is will he be disadvantaged in uni admissions compared to pupils who have 8 As in nat5. He waants to do medicine and I am not sure if uni looks into the Nat 5 results at all. His teacher says that its not a problem and it will give him more time to concentrate on the subjects that he want to take the highers. Looking forward for your valuable comments. Thanks in advance....

prettybird Thu 17-Dec-15 07:47:34

You might get more response if you post on the Scotsnet topic.

As many schools only allow 7 Nat 5s (or even 5 or 6 shock), I think dropping it to ensure he gets good As in everything else should be ok.

It's the quality of his Highers that will really count though - presuming that he is also going to do 6th Year.

litha131 Thu 17-Dec-15 08:23:02

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. He is going to do 6th year aswell

dotdotdotmustdash Thu 17-Dec-15 13:34:20

There's no need for 8 Nat 5s - they are more difficult to pass well than the Standards grades were, better to get 6 or 7 good subjects. He's better focusing on getting 5 good Higher passes as that is the better indicator for Universities.

My Dd did 8 Nat 5s, got 4xA, 2xB, 2xc but then went on to 5xA at Higher and it's getting her unconditional offers from the Unis who have replied so far to her applications.

For medicine he will probably need 5xA at Higher in 5th year then 3xA at Adv. Higher in 6th year with Maths and Chemistry being the most valuable.

litha131 Sun 20-Dec-15 01:02:45

Thankyou so much. He has decided to do the 7 nat 5s....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now