Talk

Advanced search

Can a pupil be denied from sitting a GCSE controlled assessment?

(17 Posts)
WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 10:46:48

DS is in yr 11 and we were informed yesterday that his computer usage at school is under investigation as there have been some problems.
He has just been advised by his form teacher that he will be unable to use the school computers and that his account has been locked. Unfortunately he has controlled assessments in two computer based subjects today and has been told that he will be unable to sit them. I have repeatedly tried to contact the person dealing with this by phone and email this morning to discuss this but have had no joy.

Are the school able to do this?

Madmog Tue 15-Dec-15 11:10:17

If you can't speak to the person concerned, I'd email the Head of Year and Head of the particular subject and what can be done to overcome this.

WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 11:19:14

Thanks Madmog,
It was the Subject Head (she is also his form teacher) that told him from an email she had received from the Assistant Head who is dealing with the allegations. Have spoken to student services who are trying to locate the Assistant Head now.

catslife Tue 15-Dec-15 11:21:32

I have invigilated computer based tests in secondary schools and understand that they use a completely different log in system to a pupil's usual school accounts so he should be OK.

WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 11:24:33

Just received email from Assistant Head, apparently there has been a mix up in communication and he has now requested that access be reinstated. I just hope that DS has not missed the assessments, I'm trying to remain calm atm but am raging inside at how DS is being treated by the school over this.

WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 11:26:00

Thanks catslife (great username btw) that's reassuring to know.

BertrandRussell Tue 15-Dec-15 11:28:33

What's he been doing to get his computer account locked.

titchy Tue 15-Dec-15 11:34:24

Controlled assessments don't have to be done on a specific day.

WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 11:59:49

I don't really want to go into detail about what has led up to this as it is a separate issue. Allegations have been made by a member of staff and the schools IT contractors, both of which are using DS as a scapegoat to cover their mistakes. It is a very long and involved story and DS has given the school proof that he did not do what he has been accused of. Unfortunately school have turned around and said it is his word against theirs despite them not having any evidence to back their claims up.

This is what you get for being a grade A student who has never been in any trouble in his school life. Unfortunately for him he is extremely talented when it comes to computing and so because he has the ability to do what they are saying makes him an easy target.

sashh Tue 15-Dec-15 14:04:21

This is what you get for being a grade A student who has never been in any trouble in his school life. Unfortunately for him he is extremely talented when it comes to computing and so because he has the ability to do what they are saying makes him an easy target.

That makes no sense.

Unless he has used an admin log in that he shouldn't have even if he could.

There is a trail left when you use a computer in the ordinary, via your own log ons way. You may know ways round it but it doesn't mean you should use them.

SelfRaisingFlour Tue 15-Dec-15 14:40:58

Schools are known for having it in for Grade A students, who are never in any trouble. hmm

cricketballs Tue 15-Dec-15 17:02:14

Op, I know you don't want to get into the reasons why, but all students and staff have to agree the acceptable use policy; any instances when this has not been followed will mean for students access denied to network (staff will be sacked). Unfortunately with IT systems, security, filtering etc those responsible for the network are playing catch-up and the policy signed means students are responsible to use the system without malice and not deliberately finding ways to circumvent settings; if they find something untoward then they are responsible for reporting rather than using.

We have before withheld access to students who 'found ways' around the network settings, even those who needed to complete CAs as they broke the terms of the agreement (there is a very clear trail) until parents were brought in for meetings (if the act was maliciously done they could be prosecuted) - blaming IT technicians is not a defence.

As CAs can be done at other times, I suggest you discuss the reasons why (in a level headed manner, rather than blaming everyone else) first

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 17:09:59

It's hard to see how OP's son has been harmed.
If he had a scare, then maybe that's for the better given that he seems to have badly broken rules.

WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 17:13:28

None of it makes sense!
As I said previously this is a separate issue and don't really want to discuss it on here. DS has received an apology from the head today and the staff member is being investigated. Thankfully DS was able to complete his controlled assessment so hopefully an end is now in sight.

WutheringShites Tue 15-Dec-15 17:28:51

given that he seems to have badly broken the rules

Really YeOldeTrout? On what basis would you draw this conclusion?

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 20:08:11

B/c you said that his account was locked.

Now see your update where you are sure that he did nothing wrong and school are in an organised cover up to protect their own staff which sounds very paranoid which is why I didn't latch onto the detail never should have bothered to reply to thread.

BlueSmarties76 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:09:28

Amazing how the OP's son has been put on 'trial by MN' and found guilty without anyone knowing any details of what he is supposed to have done!!

OP, glad he was able to sit the assessment! I hope the stress did not affect his grade. I think the school behaved badly wrt giving incorrect information about not being able to take the assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now