Talk

Advanced search

"external" scholarships for 6th form.

(14 Posts)
almostfinished1514 Thu 10-Dec-15 22:14:15

Dd had been on the waiting list of a school for about 2 weeks and she got offered a place today, but without a bursary - which means, unless we find some form of financial aid, she'd be unable to attend and she'd be distraught.
She'd be taking IB and wants to do Physics at uni. I know of the Ogden trust - but would they just fund for A levels? Or also IB?
Does anyone know of any similar trusts that we could apply for aid from?

Thanks,

Gruach Fri 11-Dec-15 00:33:52

I googled Educational Trusts and came upon this list.

I'm afraid I have no idea if any of these might be relevant or currently operating. I seem to remember reading years ago that applicants very often need to apply quite far in advance - were you hoping for something immediate?

happygardening Fri 11-Dec-15 20:08:10

Don't know of the Ogden Trust but in the past I approached a few charity who paid boarding fees mainly for severely disadvanted children (usually due to very significant problems at home). They all had very limited funds and as Gruach said you had to apply at least 18 months in advance, the criteria was very narrow the child I was trying to get funding for was by most people standards severely disadvantaged by her home circumstances yet barely met the criteria. They also expected the schools to automatically reduce their fees by 30%.
It's worth contacting various charities and I did find they'll all knew about each other and therefore pointed me in the direction of the most suitable ones but don't be too disappointed if youre unsuccessful.These charities did know which of the schools to approach who were likely to be sympathetic to the whole thing. Sadly a church school with very strong links to a very famous cathedral was not one of them! Could she apply elsewhere how about here for example?

bojorojo Fri 11-Dec-15 21:26:52

Why did the school not give you a bursary? Did you not qualify or have they run out of money due to the number of bursaries given already? If you did not qualify, it would seem difficult to acquire funds from elsewhere based on financial hardship. Presumably she does not have a scholarship,so the school are not falling over themselves to have her. For her to receive funding from a charity I think there must be very big social reasons for her to need this school - not just being distraught because her hopes have been built up and a liking for the IB which is not necessary to study Physics. Plenty of people could put themselves into this position and then want money. I think the Ogden Trust is funded by Sir Robert Ogden but do not know what their remit is regarding education.

I do remember dreamgirls123 (I think that is the name) has money from a charity for her DD. Try looking up her posts to see which one.

almostfinished1514 Sat 12-Dec-15 19:30:25

bojorojo - They didn't give us a bursary for either one of two reasons, or both. 1) She was on the waiting list - she wasn't one of the top 20-25, who applied or 2) We included her father's details (My ex). He earns less than the maximum wage on the sliding scale for a bursary and he is also unwilling to pay anything. DD sees him maybe once a month - so I am unsure. They told us after we submitted the form, that we shouldn't have included his details. I am a full time student (PGCE) so we have literally no income.
She doesn't have a scholarship, we knew she hadn't done amazingly and she isn't a 12A* pupil, majority A*s, a couple of As.
No real social reasons - It would just offer her more opportunities than her current state school and I wouldn't be paying for her daily travel (which will increase when she turns 16) and compulsory school lunches. Plus the pastoral care at her school is terrible.
happygardening - We live in London, so being a day pupil there wouldn't work out and I would never let her board.
Thanks everyone though

happygardening Sun 13-Dec-15 08:30:14

"I would never let her board"
Why not? If I headed up a charity which funded children though education I would want to be convinced that they were so passionate about it and so 'distraught" if they couldn't do it that they would do anything to study it including boarding. Let's face it sending a 16 yr old to boarding school isn't quite the same as sending a 7 yr old or even an 11 yr old.
If you DD applied to the Ogden Trust I think she'll find herself up against children who are not going to be put off study physics at X just because it's boarding.

Gruach Sun 13-Dec-15 09:03:33

I don't suppose the OP has ever given boarding much thought, to be fair. If she has, perhaps there is some specific reason that makes boarding impossible for this particular girl.

It does read a little oddly when speaking of someone going into sixth form. But if she's already in her first A' Level year (?) it's unlikely they would find both a boarding place and a substantial bursary right now.

It is a pity you were not well advised on the issue of your ExP's income but I suspect all the bursary funds were used up long before they got to the waiting list.

Is there really no other choice of school or college?

GloriaHotcakes Sun 13-Dec-15 09:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

almostfinished1514 Sun 13-Dec-15 11:39:48

happygardening - I wouldn't let her board for two reasons. The first, that I think that in general, children thrive better when they live at home. I know she isn't necessarily happy with her home life, but I think that it'd be like running away from her problems, and she needs to confront them.
Second of all, we're a religious Jewish family. Boarding would mean struggling with Kosher food with her, either staying there over a Saturday when she'd have to try and keep the Sabbath by herself, or leaving early on a Friday so she'd be back in time - in the winter she'd have to leave as early as 11 or 12 o'clock.
She isn't against the idea of boarding - she'd love to board. It would give her everything she wanted and more. If she doesn't get in to this school, she's going to apply to an educational programme abroad (in a country where we have a lot of family) which would be for 3 years and would included board and flights and tuition. She's doing this with her father as I'm not happy with the idea.
Grauch there are other schools, but DD wanted to do IB and the other IB schools are quite far away.
GloriaHotcakes - slightly confused about what you wrote, but DD knew I wouldn't be able to afford it and neither would any family members, we just thought that had she been offered a place, it would be with a bursary. We know bursaries are limited and where actually surprised that DD got put on the waiting list after she told me that it really didn't go that well. She's not surprised, she'd just upset that she got a place at a school she really liked and can't go because of money.

I'm going to look at the schools that are in partnership with the Ogden trust and see.
Thanks all,

catslife Sun 13-Dec-15 18:11:31

PGCE is a 1 year course so won't you have a job lined up for September at some point?
If you apply for teaching jobs in the private sector many have reduced fee schemes for teaching staff.

bojorojo Sun 13-Dec-15 19:14:22

Where my DDs boarded there were lots of Jewish girls. No-one disappeared at midday on a Friday. Can you not get a bursary from a Jewish School? Sometimes a little bit of give and take on both sides is necessary. Usually, with Bursaries, if a Father is still making some contributions to the child, then their income is considered, whether they are likely to pay fees or not. He still has financial responsibility whether he likes it or not. I am also surprised you did not plan for a change a bit earlier than year 11. Schools also try and help children who are already pupils, so money gets allocated very early in some cases and extra cannot be found readily for the 6th form if children from Y7 or Y9 have stayed into the 6th form. I would check where actually has 6th form bursaries.

Gruach Sun 13-Dec-15 19:22:52

I know I made the mistake elsewhere of assuming the award of bursaries at selective schools worked the same way at sixth form level as at 13+ - that they might be awarded even to those without scholarships. But it seems that for A' level things are even more competitive.

bojorojo Sun 13-Dec-15 20:11:14

That is also another point - it is cutting down possible schools by insisting on IB. A levels are fine for Physics. It is what most young people do. There seem to be so many requirements here that it is going to be very difficult to find a school.

almostfinished1514 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:09:39

catslife - part time PGCE but I'm doing my school experience on the days that I don't have university. And it's a primary PGCE so I don't know how much it would help.
Bojorojo - All the Jewish schools bar 1 are state. They are all nice schools that get good results, but none offer the IB.
The school we applied to had 6th form bursaries, they just didn't evidently have enough that there was enough left for a bursary for our DD and further down the list.
DD just liked the IB. If there was a school where there was a very good science department and they offered A levels, it wouldn't be a problem - but a lot of schools seem to struggle with their science departments because of the lack of science teachers. A day school is fine, but DDs current school does better than all the state schools in our area and most of the independent schools have already had their exams and handed out offers
Also, I don't know where your DDs boarded, but the majority of religious Jewish parents aren't likely to send their DCs to a boarding school because of the problems with Kosher food and Shabbat.
Grauch - It didn't seem to competitive for this school, around 60 applicants for 20-25 places. And most of the girls at the exam went to private schools. I guess some could have been on bursaries at their school.

Thanks again all,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: