Talk

Advanced search

Boarding School Advice and Suggestions Please

(33 Posts)
Muchtootall Thu 10-Dec-15 21:05:45

First post on mumsnet so hope got all the right terms!

Due to likely move abroad having to consider boarding for 2 DCs.

DD would go to 6th form next year and DS 13+ entry year after. Want full not weekly boarding and co-ed but not worried if at different schools - think may have different needs.

DD quite academic but struggling to find full boarding co-ed that academic enough and where wouldn't be one new girl joining a house. Dismissed Westminster as not really enough girl boarders. Wellington too much a weekly boarding school for her. Marlborough looks best so far. Any up to date views on the school? Reviews seem mixed and not sure if really going to get best out of academic girl.

DS needs nuturing school with good added value and loads of sport esp hockey. Currently (apart from in maths) bumping along towards bottom of moderately academic day school which won't prepare for CE as have own senior school. Struggling for ideas for him.

Help please.

MidLifeCrisis007 Thu 10-Dec-15 21:46:26

Take a look at St Clare's Hall Oxford for your DD. It's a brilliant place and particularly suited to parents living abroad.

www.stclares.ac.uk/ib#/.Vmnx2bwwbdk

HildaFlorence Thu 10-Dec-15 21:49:30

What about Oakham for both , great sport , IB or A levels for your daughter and full boarding .

Muchtootall Thu 10-Dec-15 22:41:27

Ooh thank you such quick replies.

I don't know much about either school. How academic are they? DD would love to apply to Oxbridge but wants a school that knows if she has a serious chance and has a record of preparing decent number of kids for places.

Muchtootall Thu 10-Dec-15 22:44:43

Just checked St Claires. It looks like it only offers IB? DD defintely wants to do A levels.

incaseithelp Thu 10-Dec-15 22:48:38

Muchtootall. Repton is a boarding school that is probably the best in the UK for hockey. There is a new headmaster with a very good track record including Winchester head of College and deputy for Harrow. I know some full boarders there who were really happy and there was a down to earth good work ethic. It might suit your daughter as well.

ReggaeShark Thu 10-Dec-15 22:50:34

Shrewsbury only do full boarding and is co-ed.

GarlicBreadItsTheFuture Thu 10-Dec-15 22:56:29

Friends sent their DD to Oundle for the 6th form - plenty of girl boarders - and she is now at Oxbridge.

Haileybury - sporty and with a decent 13+ entry may be a good option for your DS.

EdithWeston Thu 10-Dec-15 23:08:59

Oakham has day pupils and weekly boarders as well as full boarders. You'd need to check if you're happy with how many are in at weekends. But if you are OK with that, then it could be a good fit for both of them. Top sets do well academically, also lots of sport.

If you go to see it, look at Uppingham too.

Dustylaw Fri 11-Dec-15 02:26:12

I would suggest have a look at The Leys in Cambridge but also second the idea of Uppingham (if you want total full boarding it is hard to beat).

MidLifeCrisis007 Fri 11-Dec-15 07:09:04

Yes St Clare's only does the IB - but has an extraordinary record. I guess here isn't the place for me to argue the relative merits of the IB over A levels!

Muchtootall Fri 11-Dec-15 20:02:37

Midlifecrisis - she has looked at IB but is mildly dyslexic and is much stronger at sciences than arts subjects where gets good grades but has too work much harder to get them. Thinks therefore that IB would be too stressful!

Garlicbread - we enquired about Oundle but were told they only take 1-2 girls max into 6th form. She wanted a larger cohort.

Repton we have looked at especially as have prep school which son could perhaps go into. Any more information on school?

Anyone got any info on Marlborough?

bojorojo Fri 11-Dec-15 21:39:24

I know Marlborough can be really hard to get into for 6th form - the Middleton effect! I would seriously look at Rugby for 6th form.

Girls joining 6th forms can be tricky. breaking into friendship groups can be problematic so look at schools that have a decent intake. Uppingham do I think and you could try St Edwards, Oxford. Do be aware that often 6th formers get more time out of school so they are out of school more than those in the lower school. You could consider Stowe for DS. Not sure about the hockey though!

gonegrey56 Fri 11-Dec-15 21:40:38

St Edwards,Oxford is worth considering, may suit both your dcs. I am not up to date on how much of a full boarding school it currently is ( I am a past parent). It offers both A levels and IB and gets a few Oxbridge each year, respectable results for a school that takes a broad range of abilities. Excellent sport and drama/music etc , all you could wish for . My dc thrived there.

Muchtootall Fri 11-Dec-15 22:29:41

Thank you for all this information. Really helpful.

Bojorojo - Is Marlborough really hard to get into for 6th form then? They were encouraging when I rang. I agree about breaking into groups which is why I want a decent intake of new girls which Marlborough does have.

Haileybury and St Edwards I hadn't considered as wasn't sure were full boarding which is important as won't be able to come home at weekends. Shame as both seem nice schools from what I heard.

Rugby DD has dismissed - doesn't like area - but think could suit DS. Is it very academic? Am not sure he would get in anywhere too competitive. He's a friendly, kind and loving boy but just doesn't bring anything "special" to a school eg academic, music or high performance sport. And he will need to be encouraged a lot!

cathyandclaire Fri 11-Dec-15 22:38:35

I was going to say Rugby too, DD has started at 6th form and seems to have settled really well.
The new head does seem to be pushing the academics for sixth form entry. Not sure about 13+

incaseithelp Fri 11-Dec-15 22:47:52

I think sadly the most academic schools are either mostly weekly boarding if co-ed or single sex.
St Edwards would suit your DS but not really your DD, they get hardly any into Oxbridge. Kings Canterbury is another one that might suit both as it is mixed academic.
I think Marlborough put their new girls together in mixed boarding houses so separated from girls already there.

Muchtootall Fri 11-Dec-15 22:50:10

Cathyandclaire - how is your DD finding Rugby? Do you think we should reconsider? DD dismissed town as horrid but does that really affect the experience in 6th form? Never actually visited school but have heard good things.

00100001 Fri 11-Dec-15 22:57:09

Does it have to be co-ed?

Muchtootall Fri 11-Dec-15 23:00:16

Incase - yes Marlborough put new 6th form girls in boys' house - DD liked that as girls new together. She is at good academic school at moment and we worried that when moves she will lose the stretch you get in that sort of school. But she clear wants co-ed so trying to find most academic we can and work from there!

incaseithelp Fri 11-Dec-15 23:15:18

It's unlikely that your DD will change her view of Rugby town. Marlborough College is one of the more academic of the full boarding co-eds. Shrewsbury is another boarding school that has a mixed intake but seems to stretch its academic pupils.

Jeelba Sat 12-Dec-15 08:44:02

Haileybury seems genuinely to have a good-ish number of boarders in school for the whole weekend. Definitely inclusive, lively, sporty...

GinandJag Sat 12-Dec-15 11:46:44

Epsom College?

Full boarding available, co-ed, good range of abilities. Good transport links.

Muchtootall Sun 13-Dec-15 21:22:44

Yes def my DD wants co-ed.

Thanks for all suggestions. My question with number of these is whether genuinely many boarders at weekend. Would hate for either to be almost alone on Saturday night. Sounds miserable.

A friend also recommended Shrewsbury so would love any more views as hadn't considered before.

Any more views also on following schools for my DS?

Bromsgrove
Repton
Malvern
Uppingham

And any other information in Marlborough since this seems to be front runner for DD at the moment?

LIZS Sun 13-Dec-15 21:24:46

Kings Canterbury?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now