Talk

Advanced search

Year 10 Maths set problem

(6 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 10-Dec-15 15:35:36

Dd is in Year 10 at a girls' selective indie. She's doing very well across the board but Maths has always been a weakness for her. She started Year 7 in the bottom set (out of 6) but with a small group size and excellent teaching she made very good progress and really started to get it.

She had great teachers in Years 7 and 8 and was moved up one set at the end of Year 8. Year 9 teacher was good too.

However she does not get on with the Year 10 teacher at all and I can see all that confidence she gained being lost. Her issues are that he is poor at keeping control, a group of girls chat and mess around and are generally disruptive and that this teacher has a couple of particular favourites who he calls on all the time. There doesn't seem to be a system of putting hands up for answering questions, dd says that you just shout out hmm Dd says it's like he is only teaching 2 girls in the class and everyone else is ignored.

I know this is only her point of view but she is quite mature and honest and I trust her judgement.

I have brought it up with the school, teacher has been observed a couple of times but dd says it's better when he's observed and then it's exactly the same.

Dd really wants to move up a set but the school have said she's not ready as she's not at at the top of the current set. They all learn the same work, it's just the pace that's different. But there can't be a massive difference between set 4 and set 5 can there and dd feels that good teaching will over-ride any difference anyway.

Girls are always encouraged to see teachers at lunchtime or after class if they need to go over work again but dd is very shy and introverted and she just won't do this.

Do you think it's reasonable to bring it up with the school again or will dd just have to lump it?

BertrandRussell Thu 10-Dec-15 15:39:36

How about her moving down a set instead? In a selective school they will all be covering the same material.

Dancergirl Thu 10-Dec-15 15:40:56

That's a good idea, I didn't think of that. It really depends on who is teaching the bottom set. I'll ask dd.

BertrandRussell Thu 10-Dec-15 17:27:44

Also if moving down a set would dent her self confidence. The problem is, so would moving up a set if she finds it hard to keep up.......

Not helping much, am I? grin

jeanne16 Thu 10-Dec-15 19:00:49

Most HoDs are really not very helpful when a parent asks if their DC can change Sets, either up or down. I suppose they are constantly asked by parents, particularly when there are some teachers who are well liked and others less so.

Dancergirl Thu 10-Dec-15 23:06:00

I asked dd and she doesn't want to move down. She says there are very few girls left in the bottom set, they are all supposed to move up eventually so there wouldn't be much point. And she doesn't know much about the teacher, whereas the next set up teacher is supposed to be very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now