Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

William Blake poetry in yr 7

(41 Posts)
Emochild Wed 09-Dec-15 20:31:22

Dd has been asked to explain how we know the poem London by William Blake has a key theme of constriction -using a PEE paragraph for her answer

She's 11 -seems a little hard to me

Is this normal in which case I shall google the answer with her or is this homework a bit hard ? in which case I shall send a note in saying she tried but didn't have a clue

hesterton Wed 09-Dec-15 20:33:07

Its not hard for an able student but a bit tough if she struggles with English generally. Is she set? Has she been given some writing practice on his already, or a frame?

Emochild Wed 09-Dec-15 20:36:19

She's top set, it's the first time she's done anything like that

They haven't discussed it in class it's been set as 'challenge' homework (which is compulsory)

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 20:39:57

Well, if it's a "challenge" homework, then surely she's supposed to look it up?

KingscoteStaff Wed 09-Dec-15 20:40:41

Does she understand the PEE structure? If she was entered for the Level 6 reading paper in Year 6 then she probably learnt about it then.

Ancienchateau Wed 09-Dec-15 20:44:16

I'd say it's a good challenge for a year 7 student to understand how poetry works. The Songs of Innocence and Experience are ideal for this imo. Get her to look at language - underline words - and think about why the poet has used those particular ones (sorry if that's obvious) and look at use of repetition.

Ancienchateau Wed 09-Dec-15 20:45:33

Sorry no idea what "PEE structure" is!

Iwonderwhy123 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:53:46

That does sound hard for an 11 year old.

The poems theme of constriction is shown by use of words and phrases describing restrictions or people being trapped in their lives such as "mind forged manacles". Repeated use of certain words like "cry" and "charter'd" continue the theme as the language and words used in he poem are restricted themselves.

When does the homework need to be in? I think a note to the teacher asking for more in depth conversations with your DD to explain would be good!

Iwonderwhy123 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:56:14

PEE structure basically means
Make your POINT, show EVIDENCE, then EVALUATE.
E.g. By repeating certain words in the poem such as "cry" the language itself is restricted and constrictive

Emochild Wed 09-Dec-15 23:18:06

The teacher has given them a list of word meanings as support

Charter'd is listed as booked transport ??

She's done it

She's done pee paragraphs before but this teacher has said it's point, evidence, explain

She's always done explanation included with evidence then evaluate so she wasn't really sure where she was going with it -the only word she's picked up with is manacled and she was worrying that it wasn't a theme if there was just one word

IguanaTail Wed 09-Dec-15 23:21:07

Tell her not to worry. It will be a good kick off point for the teacher to see how they manage to put together the PEE (which could also stand for point, evidence, explanation depending on the level )

lljkk Wed 09-Dec-15 23:22:11

Ruddy Hades, glad I have a middle set kid.

ConesOfDunshire Thu 10-Dec-15 00:42:30

Charter'd is listed as booked transport ??

I can't decide if this is hilarious or depressing. Either way, it's wrong.

The 18th C. meaning of 'chartered' refers to the documents of ownership, or charters, drawn up when an individual buys a plot of land. Blake is drawing attention to the buying-up of every corner of London, and the fact that even the Thames is for sale. There is also a pun on the secondary meaning of 'chartered', meaning 'mapped out.'

Ancienchateau Thu 10-Dec-15 06:29:11

Yes charter'd is a legal / mapping term.

Manacles is a good word to look at especially when combined with the 2 preceding words "mind-forg’d". There are plenty more words suggesting constriction.

IguanaTail Thu 10-Dec-15 06:33:59

I would also expect her to pick up on the repetition throughout and to have some ideas about what this could suggest.

RalphSteadmansEye Thu 10-Dec-15 08:45:27

Blimey. Charter'd = booked transport???

That's extremely depressing.

Gruach Thu 10-Dec-15 09:00:38

"Booked transport"?

Blake was writing about Uber?

fconfused

Pepperpot99 Thu 10-Dec-15 10:06:07

There's nothing terribly oblique about 'blood run(ning) down the palace walls' IMO.

Plenty of folk are clueless though, and would not have any idea about Blake's vocabulary. sad.

Pepperpot99 Thu 10-Dec-15 10:07:45

'Charter' - map/apportioning of land and property.

YeOldeTrout Thu 10-Dec-15 13:22:45

This thread is reminding me why I hate poetry so much. Why can't they just write what they mean in plain English. (shudder)

Pepperpot99 Thu 10-Dec-15 16:26:40

Gosh how sad that you 'hate poetry so much'.

IguanaTail Thu 10-Dec-15 20:37:37

How about songs, Trout? Should they be just in plain English?

Christmas carols would be dull:

Put up your decorations and have fun.
The night was silent.
The King looked at the snow.
Let it snow.

Muskey Thu 10-Dec-15 20:41:22

I knew that I hated William Blake for a reason. Personally I think Blake is a bit tough even for a dc who has achieved level six in English

winterswan Thu 10-Dec-15 20:43:11

Im not sure I agree this is too hard, but the teacher is certainly wrong in the interpretation of "chartered."

RalphSteadmansEye Thu 10-Dec-15 20:52:15

Well, quite.

So, not too hard for a bright year 7, just for their teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now