Talk

Advanced search

Steyning Grammar School

(8 Posts)
GailMauritius Wed 09-Dec-15 18:26:34

Hi there. Can anyone give me feedback on Steyning Grammar School in West Sussex?

waitingforsomething Wed 16-Dec-15 12:24:00

I used to work there. It's a solid school with good results but it is very large. This is countered a bit by the fact it is split site so the year 7 and 8 are largely on their own and it feels more like a middle school. It's a good choice in the area.

BrooksieB4 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:06:51

We are potentially moving to Ashington later this year. House hunting begins. I have a daughter in year 8 and currently attends a standard state school. Would she have to sit the 11+ to gain entry to Steyning grammar school?
My other daughter is 9 and I am worried she struggles already at school and to put the 11+ pressure on her it will be too much.
Advise wanted:- What other secondary schools are around Ashington and how do your children get to school?
Thanks all

GraceGrape Thu 02-Feb-17 22:09:10

I don't really know the school - DH applied for a job there once. I'm fairly certain that although it goes by the name Steyning Grammar it is a non-selective comprehensive. I think the "Grammar" bit must be from bygone days. West Sussex does not have a selective system.

HPFA Fri 03-Feb-17 07:03:55

Steyning Grammar is a comprehensive school. Don't know it personally but it has a good Progress 8 of 0.26 so certainly looks like a decent school.

harridan50 Fri 03-Feb-17 07:08:55

It is an excellent comp. It is not a selective school.

Ponderingprivately Fri 03-Feb-17 07:10:23

Steyning isn't actually a grammar school confusingly- it's a state comp. It's very good. You are also not too far from The Weald - out of catchment slightly but they may have space in her year group. I've worked at both schools - happy to answer questions by PM!

BrooksieB4 Fri 03-Feb-17 07:20:06

Thank you. It is rather confusing because of the name. On the face of it. Looks like an excellent school I would have to contact them and see if they have any spaces before we would put an offer on a house we are going to see tomorrow. Thank you for your offer. My daughter is top set and they seem to support the children properly and offer lots of options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now