Talk

Advanced search

Abbots Hill School new to area

(5 Posts)
Nans123 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:38:16

Hello we are moving to St Albans area we have had a look round some independent schools for my step daughter age 8. Abbots Hill is the only school that have offered her a place and are not fussed about her behavioural problems, she is also below average in her reading, writing and Maths. Before we accept a place does anybody have experience of this school? She was bullied badly in her previous school so we want her to be in a safe and nurturing environment and not pushy. We are really interested in hearing from people with daughters who have attended or attend this school. Thank you.

ReallyTired Wed 09-Dec-15 16:29:19

Have you looked at the local state schools.

m.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/admissions/vacinfoprim.pdf

St. Albans mostly has good state schools.

I don't know what abbot's hill is like.

Zodlebud Wed 09-Dec-15 18:31:52

Abbotts Hill has a good reputation in the area for pastoral care but isn't known for being particularly academic, although the girls there do well (although I note you're not after some elite establishment).

It does take local girls who fail the 11+ or do not get into their preferred state or independent schools so there's a healthy mix of academic levels, including some very clever girls.

I found it felt a bit "old school" and perhaps less progressive than some other schools in the area but it would be a sound choice for your daughter based on what you have said.

dalek Fri 11-Dec-15 13:42:12

I know of some girls who have gone there and they have all loved it - it is not a hot house school - the girls seem happy and well balanced. A bit of a trek outside St Albans but there are school buses. It is in beautiful grounds as well. Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope your step daughter settles in happily wherever she goes.

Nans123 Mon 14-Dec-15 20:09:25

Thank you all we have accepted they said they have mixed ability classes and several girls with learning difficulties and behavioural problems which is just what we need. Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now