Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give comment on Uppingham School

(7 Posts)
jadequeen Wed 09-Dec-15 11:36:34

Someone said it is a kind of posh school and most of the students have good background, so it is not easy for a new student to settle down there. Anyone can give comment please

EdithWeston Wed 09-Dec-15 11:41:55

I don't think that's true, really. It does have a reputation for being posher (for want of a better word) than some schools, but in practice there are all sorts there.

Pastoral care, I've heard, has improved enormously (they had a difficult time a while back, which still pops up if you google).

jadequeen Wed 09-Dec-15 13:18:59

Thanks for your information. My agent told me that one of her students asked for changing school upon attending Uppingham only for few months. Seems that not easy to get along with the UK students as it is a full boarding school and most of the pupils are British.

chan22345111 Sun 13-Dec-15 17:08:46

My DD received offers from Bromsgrove and Uppingham.Can anyone give me some advise?

bojorojo Sun 13-Dec-15 19:24:55

Uppingham is in the middle of nowhere. We considered it for 6th form but rejected it as being too remote for our DD. It is not a top destination for overseas students but I am sure there are some and each year group will be different. Why did you apply if it did not meet your requirements? I think it usually depends on whether overseas pupils want to fit in with the English students - who will be a majority. I have seen overseas pupils who only want to speak their own language in the boarding houses and do not mix or join in with anything. Could be homesickness too.

Of course everyone is rich - it's a boarding school costing in excess of £30,000 a year.

Dancingdreamer Mon 14-Dec-15 21:48:24

Bromsgrove has a lot more internatinal students and is less "rich" as half students are day pupils and a significant number of boarders are services children rather than priviledged and super rich.

BlueSmarties76 Mon 14-Dec-15 21:56:45

jadequeen & chan have you both visited Uppingham and a number of other schools so you have a point of comparison? I don't mean to be rude, but neither of you seem very knowledgable about Uppingham?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now