To be wondering why bruising was not investigated?

(21 Posts)
worriedmother2073 Tue 08-Dec-15 19:03:42

This is gonna sound weird. But bear with me! So my DD is clumsy has just joined new school so there not going to now this to much. Over the weekend and week she has walked into a door and fallen over twice (one time because of a friend) She has two bruises on her head three on arm (and a couple others non visible) I promise im not abusing her! I just dont aprove of bubble rapping them atall. When she bruises she BRUISES. And they look menacing so even with a note in journal i thought i was gonna get a phone call or something worse. But she went to school on thursday with a few and more on monday and nothing has happened except two teachers asking how she got them. I am a disabled mother and we have had some problems which involved getting my DD from my mothers, school got involved because she got upset we got a phone call then. Trust me i realy do not mind not being investigated! the head of year did ask if she was okay and that was it! It just makes me feel if a kid who is getting abused comes in with bruises seems "okay" and has a note it will be passed over. Just a thought i thought id share!!

winterswan Tue 08-Dec-15 19:05:09

Bruises in themselves aren't a sign of abuse: everybody bruises sometimes.

It may be that staff have passed on any concerns but without anything else to worry about, no further action is being taken for now.

hesterton Tue 08-Dec-15 19:06:34

She probably told them what happened and they trusted her that it was the truth. You can't follow up every bruise.

worriedmother2073 Tue 08-Dec-15 19:08:30

Yes i know that! But theres 5 visble ones two being on head thats all!

LynetteScavo Tue 08-Dec-15 19:16:31

The bruises will have been recorded, as will your DDs explanation for the bruises and your note (if it's been read yet). If your DD continues to come to school bruised, school may contact you. They may pass on their concerns to SS. But don't think just because they haven't phoned you they aren't keeping a close eye on on her.

lougle Tue 08-Dec-15 19:22:40

If the bruises tally with her explanation, then there's no concern. There are all sorts of factors that contribute to a suspicious bruise: size, colour, age, location....it isn't as simple as it might seem.

lljkk Tue 08-Dec-15 19:41:46

Because behaviour is more telling than bruising. She didn't behave like an abused kid, so no flags to go bright red.

You could start verbally abusing her, and forgetting to get any food in the house, if you want to test the system more thoroughly.

KateBeckett Tue 08-Dec-15 19:44:09

One incident of bruises wouldn't trigger an investigation but I would put money on it having being recorded on a cause for concern form.

If the school notice a pattern, or other indicators then they will follow their safeguarding policy which may or may not include talking to you about what they have noticed.

worriedmother2073 Tue 08-Dec-15 19:46:03

Thanks for the responses

Borninthe60s Tue 08-Dec-15 20:06:28

I've done safeguarding training. The bruises will have been made a note of and your DD's explanation. Her tutor and HOY will have passed these concerns to person with safeguarding responsibility at school.

Savagebeauty Tue 08-Dec-15 20:08:45

Is this a TAAT?
The teacher who noticed bruising but didn't do anything about it?

worriedmother2073 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:10:06

i dont know what you mean

worriedmother2073 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:11:54

Thanks borninthe60s its not that i mind that i'm not getting integrated! Id just wanted to be reassured there wasn't another hole in the education system!!!

lougle Tue 08-Dec-15 22:45:36

They're other thing to bear in mind is that if you were hurting her, the very worst thing they could do is to phone you and tell you they'd noticed, then send your DD home for a potential beating.

worriedmother2073 Tue 08-Dec-15 22:50:46

Good point lougle! But then what would they do for suspected abuse just send them home and dont mention it or take them from school and out of the home.

Brioche201 Wed 09-Dec-15 07:32:32

It is the location of the bruises that is important.On safeguarding courses we have been told that bruising between neck and knees is significant.head, arms and lower legs are where accidental bruising occurs

lougle Wed 09-Dec-15 07:38:32

It's not as simple as that. The outer aspect of arms and legs is typical, but bruises on the inner aspect of legs and arms can be suspicious.

worriedmother2073 Wed 09-Dec-15 17:59:15

Thanks. Its really all very interesting actually. Im glad the system is there to protect children

worriedmother2073 Thu 10-Dec-15 20:36:05

Anyone who wanted an update head of child protection had a "catchup" with her today they did phone me and asked me how she got them they hev said nothing else will be done

IguanaTail Thu 10-Dec-15 20:42:02

They may well have rung social services for advice as well.

Fourarmsv2 Fri 11-Dec-15 20:18:48

I have reported a few bruises to HOY. I gently ask the student what happened and watch their reaction. 9/10 it's a rugby injury. I don't hesitate to pass on concerns though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now