Maths GCSE help needed for Yr10 student

(26 Posts)
Socialaddict Thu 03-Dec-15 12:26:05

I wondered what do people do to help their DC with GCSE Maths preparation. My DD is in Yr10 and I feel she would benefit from some help.
I am thinking of:
1. Try and help her myself - very time consuming and stressful
2. Find a tutor - expensive and have no recommendations
3. Send her to Maths holiday camps for teens in or around London.

What do people think and have you any experience of the above three points and if so, what is best?

cakeisalwaystheanswer Thu 03-Dec-15 13:32:02

Try DrFrostMaths.com it has a lot of resources for senior school maths. It was in the TES the other week.

Socialaddict Thu 03-Dec-15 14:17:43

Thank you*cake*. I shall look at this.

Bunbaker Thu 03-Dec-15 14:25:03

Does the school subscribe to MyMaths? It is a very useful resource and takes you step by step through different maths topics.

Socialaddict Thu 03-Dec-15 14:36:32

Bunbaker, I am not sure but shall ask. I heard about it and it seems that is useful, thank you!

kjwh Thu 03-Dec-15 15:06:13

Try www.corbettmaths.com/ who have online videos, worksheets, etc., for varying ability levels. Our son has used them when he's hit a topic he's struggled with.

Clavinova Thu 03-Dec-15 15:12:06

Try some of the free maths lessons on YouTube (there are loads) such as HegartyMaths or Exam Solutions;

www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS/featured

www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/GCSE/period-1/Higher/module.php

Socialaddict Thu 03-Dec-15 15:33:23

thanks guys kjwh and Clavinova I shall look at these too!

errorofjudgement Thu 03-Dec-15 21:31:17

We use a tutor. Perfect for our DD as for her, the biggest hurdle is confidence in her own ability.

Socialaddict Thu 03-Dec-15 21:51:57

Error, I am thinking of finding one too, but firstly shall attempt to help her myself and if I fail then shall look for one. Any recommendations for a really good one in north west London ? Thank you all!

errorofjudgement Thu 03-Dec-15 22:05:56

We're in the West Country so no recommendations from me 🤔

Bunbaker Thu 03-Dec-15 22:10:50

Do you have a Kip McGrath near you?

elbuortgib Thu 03-Dec-15 22:20:50

Has anyone mentioned the mathswatch cd?

As a 40 something mature student I sat my height maths GCSEs a year or so ago and my revision relied heavily on the mathswatch cd. Mini maths lessons by grade.

As a returner to education after - ahem - 30 years - in one academic year night school I got a much coveted B grade.

So I
Highly recommend the mathswatch cd
You could probably get it on eBay - very cheap

ClashOfUsernames Thu 03-Dec-15 23:44:05

Khan academy are great.

Steph220 Thu 24-Dec-15 18:00:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Socialaddict Fri 25-Dec-15 19:29:17

Steph that is really helpful many thanks! I shall try it out and use the code!

yomellamoHelly Fri 25-Dec-15 19:43:07

We've got the revision aids. Also print off previous GCSE exam questions on the topic we've just done to help ensure we know what we're doing.

Debsmumof3 Sat 26-Dec-15 15:41:52

As a secondary school maths teacher it is practise practise practise which leads to confidence building which leads to a 'can do approach' and more confidence. And remember our children must experience 'failure' in order to learn to recover and try again. Growth mindset. Mathswise is good. As are Hegarty, Corbett Mymaths and all others mentioned. Past papers can be done repeatedly to demonstrate progress and build more confidence. Little and often (say half an hour a day) will be more lasting than a once a week session with a tutor. Most schools provide revision sessions during year 11.
thered more emphasis on problem solving. Wordy questions. Reading the question CAREFULLY AND TWICE is essential to avoid careless errors.

Socialaddict Sat 26-Dec-15 16:37:01

Very useful and good advice Debs, many thanks! I have bought all the revision books, now DD needs to start going through the them.

Apiarist Sat 26-Dec-15 16:43:50

Some of DS's fellow A-level students have been tutoring (all in Maths). Something like that might be an affordable option?

BertrandRussell Tue 29-Dec-15 12:59:19

Why do you think she needs help?

Socialaddict Tue 29-Dec-15 22:53:47

I feel she needs to have more practice, as she does not perform as well as she does in other subjects.

Debsmumof3 Wed 30-Dec-15 23:06:31

How does she feel she is doing in maths? Does she think she works hard? Does she want extra help?

Heytham27 Tue 05-Jan-16 00:45:38

Can anyone help please.
My yr10 got E Ds and U for science,
Last year he was DD for science and Es.
The teachers said today your son is good but he is with the wrong people, (friends) if he works very hard he can achieve A or Bs
I think this because I changed the school. He started this school in October.

Heytham27 Tue 05-Jan-16 01:06:30

I was really unhappy although all the teachers talk to us very nice me and my husband.
I don't know what to do, If I say may be is because of he don't go to tuition, I would blame myself.
But he goes to owl tutors and high school teacher comes at home to teach him and his sister science and maths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now