Talk

Advanced search

Quick poll - when your DC are asked to type up essays and reports...

(22 Posts)
BoboChic Mon 30-Nov-15 14:35:11

do they use block style?

TeenAndTween Mon 30-Nov-15 18:45:22

if you mean both left and right adjusting, then No, DD only left adjusts.

BoboChic Mon 30-Nov-15 19:24:38

No I mean no indents for paragraphs and a double return before paragraphs.

DancingDuck Mon 30-Nov-15 19:27:18

Good question. No. They use indented paras unless asked for block layout by teacher. But loads of students do use block. Why?

TeenAndTween Mon 30-Nov-15 19:39:10

In that case, yes, she uses block style.

BoboChic Mon 30-Nov-15 19:56:56

Just wondering what is normal. Also - do different teachers specify different styles or is there a "house style" for the whole school.

pointythings Mon 30-Nov-15 21:49:18

No indents for paragraphs, but yes to double return before paragraphs.

Right aligning is never a good idea, it messes with word and letter spacing and makes text hard to read for people with dyslexia. It's a good thing to learn not to do.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 30-Nov-15 22:22:56

Left aligned, no indent for a para but yes, a double space between paras.

BoboChic Tue 01-Dec-15 06:47:17

Thanks smile

Double, 1.5 or single spacing?

TwatTheNinja Tue 01-Dec-15 06:52:23

Doing your dc homework OP? fwink

SheGotAllDaMoves Tue 01-Dec-15 06:54:00

Block style.

Double spacing when requested ( for marking below).

BoboChic Tue 01-Dec-15 07:02:49

Trying to understand the very cryptic style guide that she has been given and is trying to get to grips with!

Seeline Tue 01-Dec-15 08:47:09

My DCs have never been given any guidance in that respect - two different schools.
I wish they were TBH because often it looks a real mess! I think this age has fallen between two stages - they re expected to know how to use a keyboard, but have never been taught the way to layout a page, either hand written or typed.
I remember being taught to write letters at school - addresses, recipients etc (although much of that seems out dated now). Neither kid has been shown how at school - only by me.

DancingDuck Tue 01-Dec-15 08:50:51

Hmm. Block style is harder to read in humanities essays, especially longer pieces, as white space denotes a substantial shift of material or theme. Overall, indented is easier to read which is why the majority of books published use indented not block. Does the school specify block?

BoboChic Tue 01-Dec-15 09:37:30

I'm so used to block style as the default style (Word, MN wink) that indenting looks old-fashioned to me.

This particular teacher has asked for indenting. He's from the US.

BoboChic Tue 01-Dec-15 09:48:18

Seeline - I am very confused at the massive jump in assumptions made by teachers as to the DC's technological expertise between Y6 and Y7. At primary they did some quite basic ICT. Two months later they were supposed to have impeccable word processing and PowerPoint presentation skills and to use extracts from videoed questionnaires to illustrate their homework. Colour printers at home were a given.

The only technology that school requested parents to supply (on the list at start of term) was a USB key...

I am well aware that (a) our home is awash with technology (b) DP and I have well above average Word and PowerPoint skills, so gaps are easy to plug. But it shouldn't be like this, surely?

Brytte Tue 01-Dec-15 09:57:39

I'm un agreement about the assumptions being made by secondary school in relation to my DD's computer skills. She has no clue about the existence of word processing tools beyond changing a font. I read recently that this is a thing. The tablet generation haven't acquired basic pc skills.

Brytte Tue 01-Dec-15 09:58:09

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Seeline Tue 01-Dec-15 10:01:51

Mine seem pretty able with power point and publisher - it's the more formal approach need for essays etc using word that seems to be missing. I agree that tablets/phones etc probably do not help.
I sometimes wonder about the ability/knowledge of the teachers in this area though - I think this sort of thing has been of the syllabus for a good few years now.

BoboChic Tue 01-Dec-15 11:31:59

Brytte - not a hijack - a useful and valid point smile

blueshoes Tue 01-Dec-15 13:41:38

For legal documents, block style, right and left justified is UK-style. Indents and only left justified is US-style.

Yes, the latter looks old fashioned and messy IMO.

BoboChic Tue 01-Dec-15 15:00:15

Do any of your DCs' schools actually publish a style guide?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now