Talk

Advanced search

Yr 11, study leave

(5 Posts)
Needaglassofwinedotcom Thu 26-Nov-15 13:33:27

I seem to remember when I was at school many moons ago some kids were able to leave school earlier than others - easter? I think this was down to birthdays. Does that still happen? Ie, if in year 11, can they all leave early (May?) for study leave or do some have to stay till the end of the year if they haven't reached their birthday?

TeenAndTween Thu 26-Nov-15 13:43:54

There is I think an official leaving date of around about end June.

Mainly schools don't seem to do much study leave. They would rather the pupils were in school in focussed revision sessions rather than left to their own devices (xbox, youtube, etc) unsupervised at home.

DD1 did GCSEs this year. In theory she should have been going in for timetabled lessons in any non-completed subjects right up to her last exam. (In practice she didn't because I was at home to help 1-1 which was more productive for her).

BackforGood Thu 26-Nov-15 20:52:21

At dd's school (earlier this year) they all had to stay until May half term, then no-one had to come in (except for exams) after that.

At ds's school (3 yrs previously) they had to keep going to timetabled lessons until they had finished the exams for that subject. Most of the time they could sit and revise whatever they wanted (didn't have to be maths, say, just because maths was on the timetable) but they had to be in school and they could ask staff for help if needed or could revise on their own if they preferred. Some teachers left them to it, others were more pro-active in making old exam questions available, etc

So I do think the detail depends on the school, but they've cracked down on saying goodbye to them at the end of the Spring Term and letting them drift.

cricketballs Thu 26-Nov-15 22:50:23

Easter leaving finished years ago; my 50 year old DSis was allowed to, I am 5 years younger and it had stopped by then for every school in my area why do I feel old writing that sentence

In practice now the majority of schools put on a revision timetable after the May half term. At my school failure to attend revision sessions (without good reason) means no prom

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 27-Nov-15 13:16:23

It entirely depends on the school. Huge variation round here. I think they all say they have to be in to start, then some say you can drop going to lessons where you have done the exam. Others say you have to keep going in all of the time then turn a blind eye.

dd would be much better off being at home I think, but for others the revision sessions can be really really helpful. What I don't like is when they just make rooms available to study in with no guidance. I don't think the kids stay focused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now