Talk

Advanced search

2015/16 Yr 9 Grading

(6 Posts)
tabby1001 Tue 24-Nov-15 12:09:40

Does anyone know what level our children should be achieving in Yr 9 in Maths and English to achieve a level C pass in Yr 11, I find it all very confusing my son has just got a 6 in his Maths, I am thinking this isn't high enough.

noblegiraffe Tue 24-Nov-15 14:12:56

A level 6 at this point in Y9 (if it is a national curriculum level, some schools are making up their own levels) would be a good sign for getting a C+ in Y11, which is roughly a level 7.

However, current Y9 will be sitting the new GCSE which will be graded from 9-1. Your DS should get a 4 which is a C equivalent, but the new 'good pass' will be set at a 5 which will supposedly be more like a B and no one yet knows where that grade will be set for Y9.

The only real advice for parents of Y9 and 10 is to push maths and English as hard as you can over the GCSE years because it's going to be much harder to get a good grade.

tabby1001 Tue 24-Nov-15 15:09:36

Thanks noblegiraffe that is helpful, wont stress too much will see how he progresses

Holstein Tue 24-Nov-15 20:19:50

Hi tabby smile
Have his school sent home any information for parents about how they are assessing in KS3 now that national curriculum levels have gone?

Some schools are using '6' as a pathway to a GCSE grade 6 which is a mid-high B grade in old GCSE grades.

yeOldeTrout Tue 24-Nov-15 20:38:13

DD's lot are being told that the new 7 will be an old A*.

noblegiraffe Tue 24-Nov-15 21:03:14

That's wrong, the new 7 is an old A.

The same % who currently get an A or A* will get a 7,8 or 9 on the new GCSE. Only 20% of those who get a 7+ will get a 9.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now