Talk

Advanced search

My Kinda Future / Nestle workshops - experiences?

(8 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Mon 23-Nov-15 22:27:09

My 13yo has been invited to a workshop to develop "teamwork, leadership and creativity skills", working with representatives from Nestle and My Kinda Future. Details of what they are actually going to be doing are sparse.

We are a Nestle-boycotting family, so I'm not exactly delighted that they are involved. At this stage, I'm not inclined to prevent her from taking part. But I would be interested to know a bit more about what they are going to do - and, in particular, whether they are going to get a hard sell about how marvellous Nestle are!

Anyone got any experience?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Nov-15 08:19:59

No, but we boycott Nestle too so I'm marking my place...

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 24-Nov-15 16:12:09

Doesn't look like it's a regular event, from the lack of response! I'll see if I can't find any more info online.

Claraoswald36 Tue 24-Nov-15 16:14:47

Another boycotting family here. Intrigued

ThruUlikeAshortcut Tue 24-Nov-15 16:17:31

We have a similar thing with tesco sponsoring cookery classes for our school - I have boycotted tesco since the 80's - DD knows my feeling about them but as they are paying........and it is free for parents I let her go.

Dilemmas eh?

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 24-Nov-15 16:26:19

Think I've found it here

Still a complete lack of any information about what the event actually involves, but it looks like it's about careers/business, which she will be interested in. I really, really wish is wasn't Nestle, but I guess it might present an opportunity for us to have an interesting discussion afterwards about how companies present themselves and what might lie under the surface.

AChickenCalledKorma Thu 26-Nov-15 22:19:15

Update - she did the workshop today. She says there was a "very boring talk" from Nestle about how marvellous they are and all the different routes into a career with the company. Then they did a business venture exercise, where the students were challenged to create a business idea for making profitable use of waste products generated during Nestle manufacturing.

She spent the journey to school telling her best friend about the baby milk marketing issue ... and spent part of the workshop telling one of the staff how shocked she was when she watched the Hugh F-W programme about waste.

I suspect she may have been a bit of a PITA, but overall I'm quite proud grin.

ThruUlikeAshortcut Fri 27-Nov-15 12:28:42

Glad your DD was aware of the facts and shared her knowledge - the more facts we learn about how these companies operate the more we can do to change things.

My DDs think I'm nuts constantly ranting about why I'm not buying Nutella or Cheerios or don't use cleaning products and fight for our bees, but hopefully the messages will get through and the next generation will be more aware and willing to change things and boycotting is my own little protest grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now