Talk

Advanced search

English teacher leaving the school...

(5 Posts)
busymum17 Sat 21-Nov-15 04:20:35

Not sure if this is the right thread but DD's lovely English teacher is leaving the school (changing jobs) at the end of this year. She is in her last year of school and has been taught by him for the last 2 years. She wants to get him a nice Christmas/leaving present, but we're not entirely sure what is appropriate. She was looking at a poetry collection which includes 6 classic poets, although I think the books are bought separately (http://www.faber.co.uk/9780571259311-ariel.html).
However, we are now thinking that this might be a bit ott. We usually just do nice chocolates, if anything, but want to get something special that he can keep and will like. Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts on the poetry books?
Thanks smile

happygardening Sat 21-Nov-15 09:18:50

I think it's a really nice thing to do, over the years we've thanked a few teachers but it is always hard to know what to get them we usually end up buying a nice bottle of wine but it's a bit of a boring predictable present.
What about a gift voucher to go a a guided tour do the Globe Thestre? I thought they might do a gift vouchers that he could put towards one of next years productions but they don't seem too. Obviously it might be too far away but it's an absolutely fantastic place, the productions are just amazing, and as an English teacher he might really enjoy it.

iwantanewcar Sat 21-Nov-15 09:48:03

I wouldn't be too OTT. A book voucher/amazon voucher would let him buy perhaps a book he has been wanting to buy for sometime.

AChickenCalledKorma Sat 21-Nov-15 09:51:52

Theatre token? Similar idea to the Globe, but more flexible because he could use it wherever he wants.

EvilTwins Sat 21-Nov-15 17:56:17

If your DD knows the sort of poetry he likes, then I think something like a book would be lovely. I teach secondary drama and don't tend to get presents, apart from the very occasional box of chocs or bottle of wine. Last Christmas though, one of my 6th form girls bought me a DVD of the concert version of Les Mis which was really sweet and very thoughtful as she knew it was something I would love. Something a bit personal is nicer than a bottle of wine IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now