Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Want to get popular kids' films in French with English subtitles...

(8 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Sat 14-Nov-15 17:22:06

…. in desperate attempt to get my dear offspring to soak up a bit of French. Anyone know how to go about this? Netflix doesn't have any, to my knowledge. Don't have a DVD player anymore. Any easy/cheap solutions?

BrendaandEddie Sat 14-Nov-15 17:22:56

i dont think learning a language works like that.

Try amazon.fr?

NotdeadyetBOING Sat 14-Nov-15 17:26:09

Well - the French teacher suggested it as a booster and I thought worth a shot. Will have a look on the French Amazon site…….

Jinglebells99 Sat 14-Nov-15 17:36:26

Actually a lot of DVDs have dubbed versions included when you buy a DVD. You could check the back and see whether it has French and then just put the subtitles on in English, but you'd need a DVD player for that. I've done this with my children with German. We've watched Most of the Harry Potter films in German. It seems pretty random which films have which languages though. I've also just ordered a German film from UK Amazon. Might be worth checking what are popular films in France. I did that by going to the German Amazon and looking at top selling DVDs for teens. Also I have a Dutch friend, and she says all English films over there are shown with English soundtrack and Dutch subtitles so from a very young age they get used to hearing English and pick it up that way.

Jinglebells99 Sat 14-Nov-15 17:38:56

The other thing I've done is search YouTube for German films with English subtitles. We tried watching a German crime scene investigates type programme, but the language was quite colourful and the themes were quite adult blush

AnyoneButAndre Sat 14-Nov-15 17:43:41

Asterix is worth a try.

BanningTheWordNaice Sat 14-Nov-15 17:46:08

The taxi series was really popular with my generation although I lived in Belgium so we all spoke pretty good French so I don't know about possible issues with slang.

IndridCold Sat 14-Nov-15 18:04:53

I recommend the Petit Nicholas films.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now