Talk

Advanced search

Dd in year 10. Holiday rearranged from summer holidays to term time.

(14 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 10-Nov-15 21:22:33

It's a school trip. grin

Was planned for First week of summer holidays. Paid for already.

Dds teacher told me at parents evening they're now going to have to go in July because the flights are too expensive in the school holidays. No shit!

I'm not that bothered, I'm sure they don't do too much in the last week or two of term??? But it's kind of ironic.

And yes, I know the teachers don't make the rules about no term time holidays. Ive not taken dd out of school and don't have a problem with that, because ive always understood that school is too important to have a week off.

Leeds2 Tue 10-Nov-15 21:26:49

Would you get your money back if you pulled out of it because you didn't want DD missing school?!

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Tue 10-Nov-15 21:30:40

Is it actually a holiday, or a school trip?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 10-Nov-15 21:34:41

school trip/holiday, not sure what the difference is. I suppose school would say it's a school trip. It started off as a geography trip but is open to everyone, half the people aren't doing geography. They're not doing field work. I spent my geography trip knee deep in streams measuring flow. grin

I could have pulled out but she would be gutted. I don't think Id have said yes in the first place if Id known it was in term time.

patterkiller Tue 10-Nov-15 21:38:10

We have had this twice with school. A week before Easter and a week before summer. I haven't ever took them out for our family holidays but I have no moral qualms about doing so because of just this.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Tue 10-Nov-15 21:42:02

school trip/holiday, not sure what the difference is

Well, are they taking them to Disneyland or a nice hot beach?

yeOldeTrout Tue 10-Nov-15 21:47:17

More than ironic. I'm saying that as a holiday criminal who took mine out for 2-3 weeks in term time (and feel no shame about it, too).

ifonly4 Wed 11-Nov-15 10:10:13

The school are allowing them to go, so I think you have to deem it's acceptable. The only thing is now she's in Year 10 the school may ask her to copy up notes from all lessons missed and complete the homework issued. This is certainly the case with my DD's school.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 11-Nov-15 12:49:35

They're going to a nice hot beach in Italy.

jeanne16 Wed 11-Nov-15 15:54:47

Sounds like a holiday and this should not be run by a school, esp not in term time. Sounds as if you are paying for the teachers to have a free holiday!

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 11-Nov-15 16:29:17

I don't think a free weeks holiday with a large group of teenagers will be something the teachers are looking forward to. You'd certainly need to pay me for it.

Adarajames Wed 11-Nov-15 16:36:54

Last trip I took kids on, was fr from free; I had to pay my own costs!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 11-Nov-15 16:39:37

Dds form teacher was cock a hoop at parents evening when he told me.

His words were something like "I get to go in term time now and still have six weeks holiday in the summer".

Not that I begrudge teachers their holiday and I know they're often working still, etc. But he certainly seemed to be looking forward to it. All the staff had previously volunteered to go in the summer holidays.

You'd have to pay me to go away with a load of teenagers! grin

If I was a parent with a kid at that school who wasn't going on the trip Id have no problem taking them out of school on the same week as the trip for a family holiday and I'd love to know what the head would have to say about it!

Shakey15000 Wed 11-Nov-15 16:41:25

That is the epitome of ironic

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: