Advanced search

waiting list for 13+ for september 2017

(17 Posts)
desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:44:23

Dear all,
as my name says, I am desperate, my ds got in the waiting list. He is in the top third of the waiting list for an independent school and I am devastated as I think he won't have any chance. Do anyone has been in the waiting list and succeed. In desperate need of hope. But still looking for plan B

Samiam123 Tue 10-Nov-15 12:05:20

There will still be movement on many lists as people make their final decisions. We're just about to turn down KCS for example as we've decided another school which is closer to us will be better for DS. It's been a really hard decision hence why it's taken time. Deposits to most schools around here aren't due until after Christmas and I expect there will be movement until then. Also there are the Hampton School resits (in January I think), some will be hedging their bets until then. Do try to find a plan B though!

desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 13:52:57

Thanks, I am very desperate and feel bad that I have let this affect me so much, I am scared to have too much hope as I do not want the agony of a disappointment but I do want to keep a bit of hope. Thanks for your message

AnotherNewt Tue 10-Nov-15 14:00:26

It's a difficult position, so near and yet so far.

You just can't predict whether or how a waiting list will move. Is there anything on the website about the admissions timetable that says when the hefty deposit is required? That's when those who are hedging and holding more than one offer steel themselves and make a proper first choice, and there can be some movement at that time.

It's worth talking to your current head about the specific school, what they know of how they manage their lists (and whether they've over/under offered this year, if got it about right) and the best ways of impressing them about how keen you are without tipping into That Parent pushiness.

And talk to them about plan B. Other schools which don't pretest, or do so later on, and whose registrations haven't closed? Schools which have competitive exam at 13+?

MsMargaretHale Tue 10-Nov-15 15:17:31

Hi. Think you might need to be a bit more specific if you want concrete advice.
Are you an overseas parent talking about a boarding place? IME a lot of boarding places open up at a range of very good schools right up until the start of the September term. If you are working through an agent you may not be being shown the full range of schools as some agents only suggest schools which are paying them a commission.
Are you a London parent talking about an over subscribed day school? In which case the situation will vary from school to school. Some are known to over offer and as a result the waiting lists don't move much. Others don't put you on the waiting list unless they think there is a real chance of being able to offer a place at some stage. Can your current school advise? Have you spoken to admissions at the school of your choice?
Also remember, if you are UK based and looking for a 13+ place, you can consider state schools as well. Those that were massively over subscribed at 11+ often have vacancies a couple of years down the line.

desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 15:46:02

This is a day school. I live around the school and he has a brother already there. They don't have sibling policy. I do not have experience in waiting list and want to find out if someone did have a positive experience

desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 15:52:33

I will meet with my hm this week and next week with the school I am applying. Any suggestions are welcome.

LIZS Tue 10-Nov-15 16:02:44

So they closed their list but you missed the registration deadline even though your elder dc is there. Normally these dates are well publicised, to existing parents and local prep school heads. Do they pretest, is it possible there will be movement once that has taken place ?

Clavinova Tue 10-Nov-15 16:26:18

It sounds as though he sat the pre-test in Jan 2015 (this year) but was only offered a waiting list place for Sept 2017. There is still time for movement but it will depend on how academic/desirable the school is. Is he in Year 7 now? I assume there are other independent schools he can apply for in Year 8 if he doesn't get a place at this one - you should take a look now for Plan B. Can you pay full fees? Requiring a bursary/scholarship might limit your options.

desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 16:47:48

Exactly he had a pretest and made it to the waiting list. School is over demanded love the school but I am not sure if they will make it to the waiting list. Really don't know how much movement there is as if I got a place a definitely will not let it go.
Does anyone knows when is the deadline to decline a place for an independent school? As I know of people that will pay deposit in more than one school?

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 10-Nov-15 16:53:47

DS is in Y11 at one of the London boys day schools. They kept such a tight hold on numbers for high year that they ended up under offering and they had to advertise in Y8 for new applicants to start the next September and had a special exam at Easter. So that year they exhausted the whole waiting list and beyond.
Good Luck deperate2. If he's on the waiting list you know he's bright enough and it must be very frustrating particularly with a DS already there.
My Advice for HT, be very very nice!

desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 16:57:49

Thanks cakeisalwaystheanswer. That was really comforting. You never now at the end how things will move.

LIZS Tue 10-Nov-15 17:09:01

If it is a CE entry school the parents will make a decision in the Spring term of 2017 so that the relevant school gets to mark the papers. Some may also be waiting for the outcome of scholarship and/or bursary applications results of which will only be known nearer the time and as such may be hedging their bets with more than one school. Latest they are likely to commit is Easter 2017 , to avoid paying a term's fees in lieu. Did your elder Ds not go through 13+ entry or has the school admissions process changed in the interim?

desperate2 Tue 10-Nov-15 17:14:47

It is a CE school. So waiting may result in an agony. Forgot that piece of who is revising. So my wait will be definitely longer than what I expected. Thanks Lizs for bringing that up. So I should better move on and focus myself on plan B as I will definitely will not get a decision any time soon.

Michaelahpurple Thu 12-Nov-15 09:30:35

Places free up all the time as people make the decision between day and boarding. Every school gets turned down by some pupils. I know a number of year 8 boys who in the last few months have moved off the waiting list at westminster, St. Paul's and Eton. Either end of the summer hols at the end of year 7 are popular decision times.
Having said that, you do need a plan B as well

desperate2 Thu 12-Nov-15 10:51:21

Thanks Michaelahpurple, I am working with plan B not losing hope for first choice. But starting to realize that I might put mi mind in plan B as waiting for first choice will be a waste as spaces if become available will be later. I taught that it was going to be a shorter wait, but thanks for all the people who has participated I get to know that my wait will be long and better move on and focus on plan B.
And only if you happen to know , what are the kind of rules that I should follow in contacting the school and the admission secretary. I am always too scare to push to hard, and being rejected for being an annoying parent. But then again what should I feel entitled to ask? And how often should I contact them.
Any one with experience in this?

desperate2 Thu 12-Nov-15 10:53:35

To all of you who happen to read this thread, bear in mind that if I ever take the freedom to write the letter to the school, It won't be me who will write it, my spelling and grammar is horrible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: