Talk

Advanced search

New maths GCSEs - numeracy plus ?

(6 Posts)
Sadik Mon 09-Nov-15 22:39:04

Does anyone know anything about the new maths GCSEs starting in Wales? As I understand it they'll be taking two GCSEs, one in 'numeracy' and the other 'mathematics' - just wondering how that's likely to affect dc wanting to go on and take maths A level?

Sadik Mon 09-Nov-15 22:43:17

Aha! If anyone else is looking, I finally found a leaflet that is reasonably clear and illuminating.

I think (hope?) that it all looks a bit less daunting than what is happening in England . . .

noblegiraffe Mon 09-Nov-15 23:18:34

What might affect DC wanting to take maths A-level is that there will be an intermediate tier. It is possible that A-level will be restricted to those sitting the higher paper, as it often was back in the old days of intermediate.

Sadik Tue 10-Nov-15 08:27:17

Thanks noblegiraffe. From a purely selfish POV that shouldn't be an issue for dd, as she'd definitely be in the higher paper group. I've really no feel for what it's going to be like, there doesn't seem to have been much discussion here.

noblegiraffe Tue 10-Nov-15 08:50:00

I'm not sure if there are any Welsh teachers on here.

I will say that the Welsh government appear to have looked at all the research, advice from professionals, and then acted upon it. A double maths GCSE with one numeracy-based and the other more maths-based is exactly what has been argued for over the years, by teachers and maths education experts. Teachers have also wanted an intermediate tier with the chance for a pass on Foundation.

It will be interesting to see how it goes, and it's good to see that not all governments set their education policy in a bloody-minded, poorly-supported, political way.

Sadik Tue 10-Nov-15 15:07:09

That's encouraging, at least smile

To be fair, I think the Welsh govt have been doing lots of sensible things with education from early years upwards, and indeed our local county council are reorganising the local secondary schools in a way that will also I'm sure make things much better for the future. I just sllghtly wish dd were a few years younger so she wasn't in the middle of it all . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now