Talk

Advanced search

Helping DD to break through to level 6 in english

(5 Posts)
paddythepooch Sat 07-Nov-15 13:10:15

Hi

DD is now in year 8. She seems a bit stuck at her english level. Has been consistently assessed as 5A throughout all last year and now this term. This has meant she has now been moved down a set. She is very down about this and I really want to try and help her. I think getting the level 6 would provide her with some encouragement even if it doesn't mean she can get moved up again.

She is not the most confident person and I really feel for her on this. Any thoughts or resources you can point to would be very welcome.

Meloncoley2 Sun 08-Nov-15 07:55:07

What does her teacher say? DD has had comments on her marked work and at parents evenings, with specific advice as to what she needs to do to improve marks. Maybe drop the teacher an email for ideas if you have not had this?

Scarydinosaurs Sun 08-Nov-15 08:02:35

I would focus on getting her to enjoy the subject. Do you discuss books that she's read? Go to the theatre and cinema and enjoy discussing the plot? Give her books that you've read and enjoyed? Pass her the weekend section of the newspaper and tell her about articles you think she might like?

This is the best way to not just encourage a better writing style and reading comprehension, but more importantly foster a lifetime appreciation for stories, literature and words.

Stompylongnose Sun 08-Nov-15 12:51:32

The school shouldn't be assessing her according to the old levels like 5A.

Is her grade based on classwork or assessments like tests? If the grade is based on a test then they sometimes have a maximum mark.

Does she know her targets? Can she ask her teacher if it's writing or speaking and listening that's weaker?

I rarely check my secondary school aged children's books but my upper primary school aged child's work is marked as 3 stars and a wish. This means 3 things that he did well and 1 thing that he could do to improve his work next time. My secondary school children often have comments written by them (after discussion with the teacher?) about how they can improve. Some subjects have a chart on the inside of their notebooks with what their current target is and a teacher ticking and dating when they are achieved independently.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 08-Nov-15 13:13:52

There will be a target list. Metaphors, speech marks, capital letters, good beggining middle end, twist, short sentences. Complex sentences, time connectives, miss one and they down grade.
A news paper report, date, time line, wow sensational, facts, sub title, headline,
Formal letter, date, address, dear sir, short factual paragraphs etc

What they write, story about a dog, space, victorians, cake making isnt relevant ... just the grammar etc as above ... so dont be drawn into knowledge of the subject as such.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now