Talk

Advanced search

reporting to parents.

(6 Posts)
NewLife4Me Wed 04-Nov-15 21:00:23

Have recently had a parents evening where I was happy with the information we received.

Teachers were great and reported on settling into y7, strengths and weaknesses, what she had done, how certain subjects were taught i.e some project based etc.

My only problem is I'm not sure how this relates to her ability and what to expect for the future.
I'm very happy 2 teachers told us straight what she needed to do to improve and about a change of attitude, which to me is better than a level and is more of a personal target.

When can we expect to have a vision of her capabilities and projected grades for GCSE for compulsory subjects.

noblegiraffe Wed 04-Nov-15 21:23:10

Any projected GCSE grades will be nothing more than a work of fiction at the moment as she will be sitting new GCSEs, with a new grading system, which haven't come in yet.

The government abolished levels. So basically unless the school tells you what she would have been in old money (levels or GCSE grades), you'll be in the dark for some time to come.

NewLife4Me Wed 04-Nov-15 22:07:59

noble

Thank you very much.
This isn't a criticism but how as parents do we know that our children are working at the level expected to reach 5 GCSE's A-C.
Are teachers assuming that what they are doing is in line and will report to parents if they don't think the children will reach this.
I am most concerned about Maths and Science tbh and as these are compulsory at GCSE would like to know she's on the right track.
These are the subjects where the teachers had experienced problems with dd.

noblegiraffe Wed 04-Nov-15 22:27:21

What were her KS2 levels?

catslife Thu 05-Nov-15 09:45:49

The trouble is OP that the systems to assess dcs performance are changing as levels have (officially) been abolished (although some schools are still using them) and by the time your dc takes GCSEs it will be grades 9-1 rather than A*-C.
Under the "old" system of levels dcs obtaining level 4s at the end of KS2 were expected to obtain Cs at GCSE but as the new GCSE is designed to be more difficult academically, it will be harder to tell exactly what the link will be between KS2 and GCSE.
My dd is now in Y11. In Y7 (just before Christmas) we were given targets for the end of KS3 i.e. the end of Y9 in terms of levels. These were adjusted (up or down) every term as more work was covered. At the end of Y9 the school had a much better idea which pupils were on target for C grades at GCSE.
Targets for GCSEs were not given until Y10 i.e. once the GCSE work had actually started and these are being adjusted as the course progresses as well.
New league tables (from June 2016) onwards won't measure pupils on the 5 A*-C GCSEs by the way. They are moving to a new system Progress 8 where progress across 8 subjects will be taken.
All these changes will be making it much harder to teachers to make predictions about future performance of pupils currently in Y7.

NewLife4Me Thu 05-Nov-15 15:05:15

I understand the changes and really don't expect a level, but wondered what teachers were doing instead.
I am also quite interested in knowing where dd stands as she was H.ed before starting school and the last assessment we have was level 3 at ks1. grin

The school are lovely at explaining everything they are doing and even included areas for improvement which I know is all we can ask really.

I just really wanted to know so we could support if she wasn't on track and we only see her at holidays and usually sat afternoon and sunday, so not a lot of time. So of course we'd do something with her for an hour or so if required.
All homework/ prep is done at school so I can't even look at the quality of her work to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now