Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you take DC out of school for this?

(11 Posts)
EWLT Wed 04-Nov-15 20:57:05

It's only half a day, but I've never taken them out of school for anything except completely immovable medical appointments.

DSs in yr 8 & 10, both in Army cadets. They've been asked by their commanding officer to form part of a colour party and do a short remembrance service at the junior school they went to, which would mean missing morning lessons on 11 Nov.

Would you let them do it? What are the chances of the school approving it?

Vernonon Wed 04-Nov-15 21:02:39

Yes - that would count as an educational visit surely.

yeOldeTrout Wed 04-Nov-15 21:04:12

Yes, if they wanted to go.
Though wouldn't count as educational in our LA.
The CO is going to have this problem with all the kids.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 04-Nov-15 21:05:04

Have you asked the school yet? They may well say yes.

Passmethecrisps Wed 04-Nov-15 21:07:09

I would say that sounds fine. I suspect our school would code that as education out of school. Not 100% but we have flexibility and personally I would either make it an authorised absence or education out of school.

Postchildrenpregranny Wed 04-Nov-15 21:07:12

My Dc2 was a Sea Ranger (youngest in Borough) when Queen came to open new shopping centre and was asked to be part of guard of honour . Missed half a day . School was fine about it (it was a while ago though).

EWLT Wed 04-Nov-15 21:09:38

No I haven't asked yet, I've only just found out about it (with the usual military planning I'm afraid grin ) Haven't decided whether I want them to do it yet, let alone the school.

They haven't asked all the kids. The CO happens to work at my DC's old school, which is why she's arranging the service there and my DCs have been asked because they're ex pupils.

pointythings Wed 04-Nov-15 21:38:03

Our secondary would absolutely say yes to this - a girl in DD1's year is away with Sea Cadets this week for a special event, authorised with no trouble. I'd just ask if you decide you would like them to go.

Leeds2 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:55:15

I have never taken my DD out of school for anything (now in Sixth Form), but I would make an exception for that if they wanted to do it.

Icouldbeknitting Thu 05-Nov-15 12:21:47

I would do it and I'm sure that our school would authorise it. If you look at the wider picture it's about leadership and providing a role model for younger children and these are things that schools go out of their way to encourage.

(If you can get the DCs to school for registration and then take them out again then there is no absence anyway)

Helenluvsrob Thu 05-Nov-15 12:28:57

No problems surely thats an educated off site code and a special mention in assembly/school newsletter about how proud the school are that their kids are taking a leadership role and " representing the school" at such an important event.

Our high achieving school has many kids who have things like this happen and they have no problem with it- kids in england squads, on the stage, others like mine making music at high levels- DD missed the last day of half term to go on tour (as did about 5 girls lower down the school)

I'm sure it would be different if they had an absence issue over all or with kids who were absent and failing to achieve

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now