GCSEs - how are our Year 10s getting on?

(10 Posts)
ifonly4 Mon 02-Nov-15 14:34:06

Luckily DD is thoroughly enjoying her options choice, so all is good there.

She does seem to be putting herself under an incredible amount of pressure though. She's had coursework for two subjects so far and is spending every second possible making sure she's covered everything to achieve top marks for that element. She aiming to do this right now, as she says she'll be having to spread herself over other topics soon. I'm really proud of her for this and if it helps give her say an A instead of a B in some subjects fantastic, but I'm worried she's doing too much.

Clobbered Mon 02-Nov-15 14:36:38

DS seems a lot happier at school this year. I think he's relieved to have dropped the subjects he didn't like, and is enjoying moving on with his options. We haven't heard anything about coursework yet (not even sure if he's going to get any?). He's working hard, but no mention of grades yet, just taking it as it comes.

ifonly4 Mon 02-Nov-15 14:45:44

I think coursework depends on what subject they're doing, ie DD doing art so is doing a lot as she goes along.

DD has been getting grades, but I think these are very much targets rathr than predictions and most seem a bit high.

changename54 Mon 02-Nov-15 15:07:34

Your DD sounds very mature and self-motivated! My elder DS has just finished his GCSEs and DID NOT do the coursework required for Art as he went along.....it was a horrendous uphill battle at the end. So good on your DD for taking steps to avoid that.

DS2 has just gone into Y10 and seems happy with his choices so far. Really enjoying Economics which is a new subject for him. He hasn't had to do any coursework. I think there's one language assessment at the very end of Y10 but that's it.

We had a half-term report which showed what GCSE level his work has been at so far. Maths & English graded 9-1; all the rest graded A*-E which I guess is how their results will be in due course, but it looks a bit of a muddle.

titchy Mon 02-Nov-15 16:05:12

Ds was really looking forward to dropping subjects, but now he has, he's realised that he doesn't have any lessons where he can switch off a bit.... So he's a bit gloomy!

Seems to be just starting to be a bit more organised with homework though and not leaving it quite until the last minute maybe the last hour

Socialaddict Tue 03-Nov-15 15:53:43

My DD is also enjoying Y10 so far. They are having some internal tests this week and next, but the actual timed assessments are not due until May I believe.
It seems to me that all schools do it differently, so I am really confused.
Even each language teacher at her school has his/her way of teaching which differs to the other class etc.
Following this thread with interest.

MyballsareSandy2015 Wed 04-Nov-15 12:30:19

Two DDs in year 10, one very motivated, hard working, does all her homework without me even mentioning it. On target for great results.

Her sister is totally disorganised, still loses books, work sheets, diary. Seems to have no idea what she is meant to be doing when, and its a constant battle to keep her on track without turning into a screaming banshee every evening/morning. I'm praying she matures in the next few months and things improve but it's very hard work.
I feel she gets an awful lot of attention for her slackness compared to her sister who just gets on with it

Madmog Thu 05-Nov-15 10:28:34

DD is enjoying her options and has a few very close friends and more so this term is getting on well with quite a few others.

Half term was hell here (or it felt like it to me). She has so much homework and was determined to get top marks for it. Had a controlled assessment earlier this week and she was up until 11pm the night before making sure she'd ticked all the boxes (I know she wasn't the only one).

Anyway, everything is cleared now and she was given no homework yesterday so had a well earned rest last night.

Stompylongnose Thu 05-Nov-15 13:37:03

Our school made choices in Y8 and started their options subjects in Y9.

He has been working on his Computer Science controlled assessment. He says that he's well on schedule but who knows?

He sorted out his work experience just before half term. he is very excited about that.

CiderwithBuda Thu 05-Nov-15 13:45:30

DS is year 10 and seems happy with his options.

Our concerns are that he does the bare minimum he can get away with! Could be an interesting year or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now