Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Extended Project GCSE. Anyone had a DC do this?

(8 Posts)
errorofjudgement Wed 28-Oct-15 18:33:24

DC is in Y10 and school have suggested working on an dctenddd project for an additional GCSE to a small group as part of an extension programme.
The school is giving them 25 mins
pw tutor time, but that seems to be all.
Has anyone had any experience of this?
I've heard of it at AS level, and seems well regarded, but not heard of anyone doing it at GCSE.

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 19:11:21

Sounds odd to me, but its real
www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/projects/aqa-certificate/PQ2-7992/spec-at-a-glance

settledandsmug Wed 28-Oct-15 22:30:22

My DS completed one of these in Y9 last year. It was a positive experience, especially for the more able, who are getting a little fed up in Y9. Most of them did very well. It is a state comprehensive. The project is only actually worth 1/2 a GCSE but it did help DS develop some good independent learning skills and he enjoyed researching a subject of his choice.

errorofjudgement Thu 29-Oct-15 07:51:41

That's interesting to learn its only 1/2 a GCSE, I should think that makes it a more manageable commitment.

settledandsmug Thu 29-Oct-15 10:42:49

DS did this on top of his normal school day (and fairly heavy extra curricular commitments). They had four teaching sessions on research skills after school once a week for four weeks. It sometimes felt like a lot of work but that was because he has a tendency to leave everything to the last minute! It was very valuable experience in learning to work to unmovable deadlines!

acheung Wed 18-Nov-15 17:51:26

Hi,

My daughter is doing her A-Level EPQ at the moment. Please fill in her questionnaire about people in public authority.

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/7NLBSFR

Thank you in advance.

cricketballs Wed 18-Nov-15 17:58:04

acheung I did attempt to complete but there were several concerns

Q5; the jump from the recent events in Paris to my views on people in the army is very confusing
Q6; the information given is very leading therefore will not result in a balanced response

OldBeanbagz Wed 18-Nov-15 19:32:38

Will be looking into this further as DD came home tonight with the news that she has to do a 20 page writing project in January. Am wondering if this is what it is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now