Talk

Advanced search

An Inspector Calls"

(19 Posts)
BertrandRussell Tue 27-Oct-15 07:58:04

If your child has this as a GCSE text, the excellent BBC production with David Thewlis is available on Amazon Prime for a couple of quid. If you were as useless as us and didn't get round to watching it when it was on IPlayer......

EvilTwins Tue 27-Oct-15 14:56:18

It was excellent but crap if you're studying it because the whole point of the play is its ambiguity and the BBC version took that away with all those bloody flashback scenes which are not in the play.

You're better off getting along to the touring stage production which is doing the rounds.

BertrandRussell Tue 27-Oct-15 15:43:59

Well,obviously you have to read it first!

EvilTwins Tue 27-Oct-15 16:22:16

Yes but I think the BBC one is confusing for the average GCSE student... The stage adaptation is fab.

momb Tue 27-Oct-15 16:25:41

School recommended the old B+W one which was only a couple of pounds on DVD. No flashbacks.
simples.
Might watch the David Thewlis one for interest's sake but not let ED see it!

BertrandRussell Tue 27-Oct-15 16:36:21

Ah- I forgot that DS is a drama nut and found the differences really interesting. I can see how the old B&W one would be better as a learning tool for most people......sorry, everyone. Please ignore recommendation!

EvilTwins Tue 27-Oct-15 17:54:08

Bertrand - if you & DS get the chance to see the current tour, do - for a drama nut, it's fab, for all sorts of reasons (fellow drama nut here) Details here

BertrandRussell Tue 27-Oct-15 20:51:14

Thank you soooo much- it's coming to us in January! So excited!

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Oct-15 21:32:04

Ds2 played small boy in the last tour. So he's hoping to get it for a GCSE text (and we have a video of the production when it was at the National Theatre that he had to use to learn his bit, so very handy - if it's available somewhere would be worth checking out). The tour set is amazing - although ds2 hates heights so was a bit traumatised by having to stand on the edge of the house. Enjoy - it's a fantastic production.

itsmeohlord Tue 27-Oct-15 21:35:06

Are they STILL doing that for GSCE. Mine did it about 8 or nine years ago!

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Oct-15 21:45:08

It seems to be a permanent feature of the syllabus. When ds2 was in the tour (about 4 or 5 years ago) the audiences were jammed packed with GCSE students.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Oct-15 21:47:33

It's probably what makes the touring show possible thinking about it..... Plenty of GCSE bums on seats...

EvilTwins Tue 27-Oct-15 21:53:31

Two of my year 8s played the older kids in the current tour when it came to us recently (drama teacher) which was v exciting! And four of my 6th formers were in the crowd of people who come on towards the end. I got to chaperone so I got a tour of the set and was allowed in the house (easily pleased)

RalphSteadmansEye Tue 27-Oct-15 21:55:00

Ds's set are doing The History Boys, which we're pleased about as it has been an A level text for a while so there are some decent critical texts around (and the film!)

<slightly irrelevant>

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Oct-15 22:00:01

The last touring Company were very friendly - hope they're the same this time. Usually when ds2 does a show it's a pretty strict no parents beyond stage door, but I was sneaked onto the wings for the final scenes of ds2's final show so really got to see the house close up - really incredible piece of set. And parents were allowed to watch a rehearsal etc - all very unusual (but nice for us!)

Ds2 still calls the supernumaries (are they called that in the current tour?) supernoodles EvilTwins. He's sad he's not old enough to be a supernoodle yet. ;)

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Oct-15 22:03:20

supernumeraries.... no prizes for my spelling!

EvilTwins Tue 27-Oct-15 22:07:15

Yes, still called supernumeraries, though everyone just called them the supers, which they liked ;) Current tour company were lovely - as well as my two yr 8s, the younger boy was the DS of a friend so it was lovely being involved. My school has a good relationship with our local theatre and so they let the rest of the 6th form class come in for a set tour/meet the actor which was lovely and then two of them shadowed the stage manager one evening - one of them even got to make the rain work!

EvilTwins Tue 27-Oct-15 22:08:48

Meet the actors full company turned up to meet them and answer their questions.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Oct-15 22:38:30

Oh that's fab smile It was ds2's first show & very much changed his future as he loved it so much (went on to audition for/take part in other shows & now he wants to go to drama school - although having been in the shows is pretty realistic about his chances & need for othet skills/backup plans).

I love this production & the way the 3 kids weave in & out of the story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now