Talk

Advanced search

Wirral 11+ changes for NEXT September

(6 Posts)
Wirralmumof2 Sun 25-Oct-15 18:38:56

Please read this
http://www.wirralgrammarboys.com//uploads/docs/1445601229-LA%20Letter.pdf

The test will no longer be GL VR, but instead CEM and a mix of VR/NVR/ and maths English.

Wirralmumof2 Sun 25-Oct-15 18:41:18

www.wirralgrammarboys.com//uploads/docs/1445601229-LA%20Letter.pdf

That should be a clicky

namechangedtoday15 Mon 26-Oct-15 08:56:26

It is similar to the area we are in, changed this year to CEM. I think quite alot of areas are moving to CEM as its deemed to be a better all round predictor of ability.

philomene Tue 03-Nov-15 13:20:57

This is actually quite annoying. We don't really know what to expect and 2 tests on the same day seems more stressful than before, depsite what they are saying.

PettsWoodParadise Tue 03-Nov-15 21:51:54

Having a DD who sat CEM (Bexley) and GL (Kent) plus for another school just VR and NVR - this September, although she did really well in all of them, the one that I think most reflected DD's abilities was the CEM test. The GL test was so rushed for time and the questions comparatively easy so missing out on a few or getting one wrong really skewed the results.

Wirralmumof2 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:40:32

I don't doubt that the current GL test isn't a true reflection of potential over a range of subjects. There are very very few maths based questions.
However a lot of parents feel like they have had this thrown at them mid year.
The information is on one of the grammar schools websites but doesn't appear to be common knowledge yet; one parent I know was told by Wirral that they will make an announcement after Xmas. I can't find anything on their website anyway

I'm sure also that for this coming sept.. A lot of children who have already been tutored extensively in VR over years, at great cost will not do as well as their parents may have expected.
That is probably a good thing
But I do think the LA should have made an announcement and then made the change for 2017. It's a big change
I also don't like all the tests being on one day. The difference in my daughters test marks this year, was substantial. She said she was very nervous the first time and ok the 2nd day. To have them both on same day seems a bit harsh and doesn't allow for them having an off day and they are only 10!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now