Name and shame for absences Sixth Form

(29 Posts)
Fatfreefaff Thu 22-Oct-15 11:15:25

Apparently at DD's Sixth Form Assembly a PowerPoint slide of those with the worst attendance record was shown for all to see - including DD's name. All DDs absences have been due to MH issues and our GP has sent a letter. I have emailed the school asking if students with sick leave are included. DD was extremely upset as some days she has panic attacks and severe anxiety and literally cannot go to school. I am fuming about this - is this a thing nowadays?

schokolade Thu 22-Oct-15 11:36:35

That seems ridiculous!! it would be ridiculous even for unauthorized absence.

I'd email head of year pronto. If they confirm, I'd ask how having her name put up in assembly will help your DD to have fewer panic attacks/GP appointments.

Fatfreefaff Thu 22-Oct-15 12:14:23

Thanks I have emailed to clarify what was said and whether this policy applies to children who are off with infectious disease, broken limbs etc. It is no way to treat anyone - let alone someone already anxious.

bigTillyMint Thu 22-Oct-15 14:12:59

That's terribleangry

WTAF are they putting up any absences on name and shame for sixth formers FGS?

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Thu 22-Oct-15 14:16:59

How awful for your DD. I would be going fucking nuclear about that. My attendance in 6th Form wasn't great due to MH issues and this would have been enough to make me quit.

5madthings Thu 22-Oct-15 14:25:40

Bloody hell I would be livid at this happening for any age child but for teens, an age at which mental health and anxiety issues often become apparent... Wow just what the fuck were they thinking?

I would be following all formal complaint channels this is not Ok.

I have a 13 yr old who currently has 54% attendance due to health issues, something like this would upset him.hugely.

Runningtokeepstill Thu 22-Oct-15 14:54:41

I'm just horrified. My 16 year old has had extremely poor attendance due to pain and anxiety for all of his secondary school years. His first secondary school was so difficult to deal with that he ended up having to leave, but even they did not do something like that.

How on earth is this supposed to motivate anyone to go in?

I'd also be making the biggest possible fuss through all available channels.

TalkinPeece Thu 22-Oct-15 15:07:57

Contact the LEA safeguarding team ..... today.

bigTillyMint Thu 22-Oct-15 15:45:09

Is it an academy/new free school?

Fatfreefaff Thu 22-Oct-15 16:48:17

Thanks talkin' - I have emailed them.

Bigtillymint - yes an Ark Academy.

bigTillyMint Thu 22-Oct-15 17:00:17

Ah. I know them. Not that surprising, sadly.

Not sure the LA can act on how Academies do things? Maybe going to the papers would be more effective, but only if you are up for the attention/could do it anonymously?

Fatfreefaff Thu 22-Oct-15 17:16:52

Don't want to be Daily Mail sad face but it would serve them right. I intend to take the complaint to the governors at least. But I imagine a school whose previous head referred to the students as 'feral' has little regard for individual rights and feelings; I expect the governors are out of touch with reality.

TalkinPeece Thu 22-Oct-15 17:19:00

Even though they are an academy, there is a safeguarding issue : they may have flashed up the pictures of kids whose pictures are NOT to be shared.

The LEA have a say in stuff like that for all schools .....
def worth a call / email to give them the heads up

honeysucklejasmine Thu 22-Oct-15 17:24:57

I've seen 100% attenders named in assembly but not the other way round. Certainly its not fair and potentially very upsetting to some students.

Brioche201 Fri 23-Oct-15 08:53:06

I would start asking questions about data protection

Fatfreefaff Fri 23-Oct-15 09:33:28

Thanks. My daughter received a half hearted verbal apology yesterday but that is not good enough. No response from school yet or LEA. Schools complaints policy says 7 working days but it is half term.

I have been through the school's behaviour policy and I cannot see any reference to this. I intend to pursue it until I get a written assurance that this will not happen to any child in the school again. It is emotional abuse, breach of privacy and god knows what else. If something like this happened in my workplace it would be classed as bullying - plain and simple.

NW7Ranter Fri 23-Oct-15 10:04:26

The school may have breached the Data Protection Act in sharing your daughter's sensitive personal data in this way. You could mention this in your conversation with the school. Alternatively/additionally you could speak to the Information Commissioner's Office (0303 123 1113) and your daughter could complain to them about this awful misuse of data.

ifonly4 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:06:12

My nephew's school have large charts with all names on showing percentage of attendance, I know this as I take DS to an evening group there. Feedback from two other parts of the family are that nephew is pampered re: illness , his attendance is 90%, so I daren't tell them I've seen this, but it's there for all to see. One boy's attendance is 76% but he could have a genuine illness,family matter and then be in for the rest of the year - who knows, it's all left to speculation whether it's genuine or not.

Fatfreefaff Fri 23-Oct-15 11:00:09

Thanks NW7. I think the ICO want you to raise it with the organisation first and give them a chance to put it right before contacting them.

Ifonly4 - that is shocking actually. We all know of kids with very serious illnesses or unbearable living conditions and displaying personal attendance info as some sort of rank is vile imho.

bigTillyMint Fri 23-Oct-15 13:56:14

Well done Fatfree for getting onto it - too right about expecting written assurance.

Ifonly, how awful. Is it an academy too?

TalkinPeece Fri 23-Oct-15 18:54:18

ifonly
for a school to have that info on display is disgusting

at primary DD was in class with a child who has since died of the problems they faced

at secondary, both DS and DD have been in year groups with members of a family who are away from school for most of the summer and early autumn they work in a circus but have exemplary records outside the agreed times
percentages without appropriate raw figures are intrusive
and should NEVER be shared

Intradental Fri 23-Oct-15 19:04:16

Ofsted? And yes, ICO. They do follow up complaints where the organisation being complained about hasn't been approached first - have experience of it.

BrendaandEddie Fri 23-Oct-15 19:13:40

lots of schools openly discuss a tutor groups attendance figures with kids there
I have never heard of it being secret. Surely its a public document

bigTillyMint Fri 23-Oct-15 19:24:01

Talkinsad

Brenda, surely not mentioning names if in a forum wider than teachers together? There cam be so many reasons for DC missing school.

TalkinPeece Fri 23-Oct-15 19:58:41

Brenda

In late year 9 DSs tutor (previously 100% attendance) got a new boy with massive social problems and known 60% attendance
so that tutor will never win a prize again ....
a tad tough on the other 29 kids

DD had a lass in her tutor who was a persistent skiver - so in the 5 years, the efforts of the others were invalidated

There is no place for such name and shame with other parents who may not know the back stories

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now