Talk

Advanced search

Brighton college

(7 Posts)
Phalenopsisgirl Wed 21-Oct-15 19:06:16

DS is very keen and I was happy with his choice but now hearing a few mixed reports, one mum described it as another London hothouse just not in London and current head said it was like a treadmill that doesn't stop running even if the child falls on their face! Just wonder what experiences current parents are having?

Triage Wed 21-Oct-15 21:50:59

I have n't a DC there but it is an academic school so a DC who was at the lower end of the selected cohort would be working hard to achieve the high exam results the school gets.

Needanadulttotalkto Sat 24-Oct-15 02:08:45

I have heard things about it from London parents looking to move out. It was described to me as hothousey with "not the best" pastoral care.

Would I be right in thinking you want a "straight A's" sort of school out of London which has boarding? Or was it something else which attracted you to Brighton?

Have you thought about Tonbridge or Sevenoaks? Those are both straight A sorts of schools...... Though I'm inclined to think that anywhere with results like Brighton's must be quite hothousey?

pastoralcareatBC Tue 27-Oct-15 11:37:57

Not a hothouse, but your DS will be expected to work very hard. The teachers will work very hard with your child to make sure they get the best grades possible. This might involve clinics etc after school. I work in pastoral care there wink grin . Basically he won't be allowed to fail. They do a lot of charity work within the local area & extra curricular is very strong.

Many Heads are quite jealous of the way it's sped up the league tables, so a pinch of salt might be needed with regards to his opinion.

If your ds is clever enough to be accepted he will do fine, I assume he has visited and been on taster days?

Needanadulttotalkto Wed 28-Oct-15 06:15:47

@ PastoralcareatBC

How do you define 'fail'? Is it as 'below an A'?

IF children are 'not allowed' to get below an A and attend clinics after school to ensure they do get an A, I think anyone would call that hot housing!! (Correct me if I'm wrong on definition of fail!)

I think I read (feel free to correct me!) that in 2014(?) out of the ~950 GCSE examinations taken only 4 were graded at less than an A (and those were a B).

What would happen at the school to a student who was predicted B's across the board? Would they be asked to leave? I have heard stories from parents (as I'm sure have others) about DC who are asked to leave.

^that is why some people have a negative view of the school, nothing to do with league table jealousy!!

Having said that, I'm sure if a DC is bright enough to get straight A's effortlessly it is a brilliant school.

(And for the record, I have no personal connection to the school or vested interest either way.)

nightsky010 Fri 13-Nov-15 12:04:10

I wonder if PastoralCareatBC will ever comment on this?

fastdaytears Fri 13-Nov-15 12:08:51

I have two happy siblings who left this summer and the one before. They both had millions of A* and are naturally pretty gifted (one with some SN but really well supported at BC) and got involved with sport and drama very heavily. They loved school and seem to have lovely friends. Neither boarded- don't know if that makes any difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: