Talk

Advanced search

What does your child wear on wet days?

(11 Posts)
redskybynight Wed 21-Oct-15 13:27:33

OK, so really stupid question here.
Today was the first day of more than minor drizzle, since DS started in Year 7.
This brought up the question of what on earth you wear when it rains!

After lots of huffing and puffing DS agreed to wear a packamack style (i.e. it folds down small) raincoat over his blazer and has taken a plastic bag into school to wrap it in.
Should be nice for coming home 

He cycles so can’t really use an umbrella (and no idea where he’d put an umbrella even if he did).
His locker is too small for anything more substantial coat wise (in fact he was dubious about even fitting in the raincoat).
He doesn’t want to get his books wet so needs to keep wet coat away from them.

Am I missing something or do all secondary children just walk around damp on wet days?

Ragwort Wed 21-Oct-15 13:33:13

Am I missing something or do all secondary children just walk around damp on wet days?

Yes - apparently wearing a coat is social suicide, it was pouring today and I suggested DS (14) wear either a light weight jacket/very nice ski jacket/ thick anorak ....... but no, he would rather get wet. grin Sometimes on my drive home from work I pass secondary school students wearing just a polo shirt - in the pouring rain. grin

TeenAndTween Wed 21-Oct-15 13:36:04

DD used to have a pack-a-mac and an umbrella.

Kim82 Wed 21-Oct-15 13:39:08

Yep, Ds aged 14 has gone into school today with just his usual uniform on, nothing over the top to keep dry or anything. He won't even wear the school issue jumper as "nobody wears them". He already has a stinking cold so no doubt he'll be feeling horrible tonight and will come home and spend half an hour under a steaming shower to warm up.

Dd, aged 11, on the other hand has gone wearing trousers instead of her skirt, the school jumper that apparently "nobody wears" under her blazer (she says loads of people wear them) and she's taken my umbrella to keep dry with a plastic bag to put it in when she's not using it.

Theonethatgotaway772 Wed 21-Oct-15 13:40:17

My just get wet,will wear jackets

BertrandRussell Wed 21-Oct-15 13:46:20

A duffle coat. Just the same as he wears on any other sort of day. He is a hipster.grin

BertrandRussell Wed 21-Oct-15 13:47:58

Kim- they could both be right. At ds's school, years 7 and 8 wear jumpers, 9, 10 and 11 would rather freeze.

bigTillyMint Wed 21-Oct-15 16:24:50

DS(Y10) cycles and is very fashion-conscious. Today he wore a Nike mac over his blazer. When it got cold last year he either wore a puffa or snorkel.

Lurkedforever1 Wed 21-Oct-15 17:04:55

Dd uses a large umbrella and keeps a spare pair of socks in her locker. Apparently I am embarrassing for even suggesting a coat.

On a bike would he perhaps wear some form of acceptable sweatshirt over his blazer? Thus rather rebel like in turning up not in uniform and then putting it in a bag when he arrives?

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 21-Oct-15 17:07:09

The same as on dry days and gets wet hmm

sunnydayinmay Wed 21-Oct-15 19:38:15

A coat. I did check with a year 10 friend who just looked confused and said "we just wear a coat".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now