Talk

Advanced search

New 1-9 GCSE grades and CAT stanines

(8 Posts)
LanyardAhoy Wed 21-Oct-15 12:55:56

It has just occured to me - do you think the CAT test stanines were the inspiration for the 1-9 grading scheme for new GCSE's? The figures being banded about re the approx % of children expected to get each of the 1-9 grades seems very familiar to the distribution of scores using the stanines.

Can't believe I've only just thought of this!

yeOldeTrout Wed 21-Oct-15 13:04:54

you're just showing off with that big word I had to google

dunno, don't care! Don't even know what CAT scores DD got. Would rather she didn't have so much pressure, though, guess that's what comes with her actually caring. (Trying to look on bright side of having a feckless teen DS)

noblegiraffe Wed 21-Oct-15 17:22:36

The only figures I've seen for % of students getting various grades is that the percentage getting 7+ is pegged to the % currently getting A/A* and the percentage getting 4+ is pegged to the % currently getting a C+.

What have you seen?

tiggytape Wed 21-Oct-15 17:43:31

As noble says and at least AQA have confirmed grade 7 is being placed where it is to match the current proportion of children who get grade A and above. Grade 4 will match those who get C and above. Those are the only two influences I have heard about and it may not even remain 1-9 for very long.
The reason that 9 is the highest and not 1 is so that they can eventually add even higher grades above it (grade 10 equivalent to an A* etc)

tiggytape Wed 21-Oct-15 17:44:22

equivalent to A* * * that should read (formatting doesn't like triple stars)

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 21-Oct-15 19:13:57

The reason that 9 is the highest and not 1 is so that they can eventually add even higher grades above it

Or so that the grades can be very easily summed into a total points score, then this could be used for league tables, e.g. % of students scoring 50+ points.

PiqueABoo Wed 21-Oct-15 21:04:31

This briefly crossed my mind but the percentages for A/A* grades in different subjects are different, so I stopped thinking about it.

tiggytape Thu 22-Oct-15 08:48:50

TheSecondNature - that may be true also but AQA itself has already said that, although there are no current plans to do it, they decided against making grade 1 the highest (as some assumed it should be) so that they have the option to add more grades in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now