Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alumni & independent school selection

(5 Posts)
chicagogirl Sat 17-Oct-15 10:57:51

How do competitive schools view alumni connections? In particular City of London boys and Highgate? Some of our family attended these schools and just wondered how it will affect our child's chances. Any of you had any experience in this area. Many thanks!

AnotherNewt Sat 17-Oct-15 11:05:37

I don't know those schools well.

In general, it's becoming less of a factor as schools become more selective. So no matter how well-connected to the school, the prospective pupil will need to pass the exam to the required level and interview well.

I do think it's likely to help if the school considers borderline candidates in the round.

But for the ferociously academic selective (eg those who have no sibling policy), it won't count a jot.

chicagogirl Sat 17-Oct-15 11:34:16

That's exactly what I was thinking! He needs to get in on his own merits! Best that way as far as I can see as it will be disappointing for him otherwise.

happygardening Sat 17-Oct-15 15:37:59

We were once told by the man in charge of admissions for a very famous and very over subscribed boys boarding school that if they were deciding between two boys and everything else is equal then if your father was an alumni then it would sway their decision.

chicagogirl Sat 17-Oct-15 20:04:06

Right ok. That makes sense. So it's just one of many factors. It's right that IT shouldn't sway admissions as it makes it unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now