Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

GCSE Results thread and starting 6th form- Part 2!

(972 Posts)
Draylon Mon 05-Oct-15 18:30:59

Unless someone else has already done this?

I am particularly interested to hear the ongoing thoughts of the last few posters on the old, full thread (all about a DS who just isn't cutting it in Sixth Form College)

TeenAndTween Mon 05-Oct-15 19:03:26

(reposted from fatfrees thread)

First, people do 'restart' 6th form as in after not succeeding in first year, restart on a different 2 year course. (I know this as I asked when we looked round places in case DD did A levels and couldn't cope). So if he blows this year in terms of results he can restart (elsewhere with new kids?) a different set of courses elsewhere.

I expect you did all this when you were looking for Plan B and Plan C before, but does he have any interests / skills that might direct him towards a career or a relevant BTEC?

DD has gone for a mixed BTEC / AS route at Brock (who do a wider range of BTECs than BP and a full range of A level too). But we found finding a BTEC hard as she also has no real idea of what she might want to do career wise. We found the Brock one in the end and it ties in to her outside interests and general skills.

You know the open evenings are on again? BP this week, PS soon, and Brock next week and the week after. Eastleigh no doubt too and probably Sparsholt. Any point in going and looking around them with your DS?

I suspect but don't know that it is too late to swap courses now (especially as he doesn't have an urgent desire for something else), so I would think maybe better to pursue the AS unless he is chucked out / he comes up with an alternative plan for the future. At least he is going in to college for lessons, even if not staying there for frees. If he just drops out he may sink into doing nothing at all (and child benefit will stop I think, so if not earning by dropping out he'll cost you money).

I expect you just want to give him a good shake!

flowers

ps Are you sure he is capable of arranging his own self-study? It's not that he can't but doesn't want to admit it? (I'm sitting with DD every evening and agreeing what she will do in the next day's frees.)

spudmasher Mon 05-Oct-15 19:27:23

There you are!
Just asked on the other thread, if you'd put the options to him, and if so, how did he respond?

Draylon Mon 05-Oct-15 19:47:29

Thanks- we have had no further discussion this evening, but I shall keep you posted.

Draylon Mon 05-Oct-15 19:47:48

And- how do you link to the last 1000 post thread??!

spudmasher Mon 05-Oct-15 19:50:55

No idea! I'm only just functioning on the new app. Let's hope we don't lose everyone!

TeenAndTween Mon 05-Oct-15 19:51:41

Previous Thread

TeenAndTween Mon 05-Oct-15 19:52:52

Spud, how did you post a 1001th entry? I thought they stopped at 1000!

Draylon Mon 05-Oct-15 19:52:55

Ta dah!

Auntpetunia2015 Mon 05-Oct-15 19:55:51

Oh draylon that sounds difficult. Hope you and DS are getting your heads around his various options.

Draylon Mon 05-Oct-15 19:56:13

I posted this on another thread about Y12 angst, but perhaps more relevant here: but I apologise for splattering myself so liberally over these threads!

... We barked up the wrong tree as DS1 was predicted 6 x A mathsy/sciency GCSEs and 4 x B Humanities from a very good comp that knows what it's doing. Lined up for Maths, Physics, Chem and Economics ASs at Sixth Form.

He got 2 A's (Physics and Geog) and 7 Bs (one C). 2 of the B's were in Maths and Chem. So he's dropped Chemistry AS and taken on Geog. He generally didn't do well due to laziness, disorganisation and immaturity. But was a bit taken aback when he saw how much better the results of some of his similar ability peers were!

All well and good, though we had to blag his place on the Maths A level course. They were suggesting 'Use of Maths' AS which we all knew really didn't provide a good enough 'hanger' for the other ASs. We're already paying a tutor in Maths.

Well, we were all wrong. No great leaps forward in application have been made at all. No new insights into What's At Stake, here.

DS is still completely unengaged with it all. His first online progress report says 'Fine' for Geog and Economics, but 'Concerns' for the other 2. Three weeks in. He promised to stay in college for Study periods, yet came home at lunchtime today, was a bit surprised to see me here, but still wandered off to bed with his iPod. Told me he had 'No Homework'...

We had A Chat. Like the other 20-odd we've been having since he arsed around when he should have been revising for GCSEs. He 'hates Physics'. So- um- why choose a Physics AS? Because 'I don't know what I want to do with my future'. He feels no sense of urgency at all, seeing as he dodged a huge bullet with his GCSEs and with his first AS exam being 7.5 months away.

He showed me his maths results (on his log-in). They're 5/10, 13/20, 20/30. I suggested he might like to, with some urgency, revisit these questions and get them right but he just can't see the need. He will sit, of an evening, at the dining room table, for 3 or 4 hours, laptop and college books open (earphones on). But it isn't 3-4 hours of study, that's for sure. His time-management is rubbish but he doesn't seem to care.

We are on a hiding to nothing. IF he could pull out and go to a Tech right now, I'd be doing that. Note I mean I in that though it might be his future, he cannot connect No Qualifications with No Future in his mind. I am practically begging him to try and knuckle down now, just for 7 months; abandon any thoughts of A levels and uni for now (not that he wants to go to uni, as such- doesn't want the debt... but can't see how getting that debt might be the step back that catapults him 20 steps forwards in his future confused)

Sorry, I'm rambling but AS levels at Sixth Form were A Big Mistake....

Folks have come along since this with some good ideas, advice and suggestions; but if I do rant on a bit, this ^^ is the back-story.

Draylon Mon 05-Oct-15 20:07:05

Sorry, I rant a bit, don't I? grin

spudmasher Mon 05-Oct-15 20:47:04

Not at all. That's what we are here for. We've all had a rant at some point or another over the past few months!
I'm no use to advise if I'm honest. DD has gone the vocational route from the get go. I was sceptical but I know it was the right choice now as she's never been happier. It's just about finding out what makes them buzz, which is mad, because they are too young to know really!
No use, sorry.

GloriaHotcakes Mon 05-Oct-15 20:54:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueBelle123 Mon 05-Oct-15 20:54:21

Could he be frightened of failing, better not to try than try and fail - I have a sibling who was like that she would rather not try than risk not measuring up, and her DS is turning out exactly the same.

If he doesn't know what he wants to do could he do one of those on-line career advice things(!) which might come up with some career ideas and ignite a bit of enthusiasm. There are also Uni open days coming up now you could take him to over half term which would give him an idea what Uni is about.

I do think you should give it longer as its still early days and as he's moved from school to college he may be finding it hard to settle in.

Good Luck to you both.

Horsemad Mon 05-Oct-15 20:57:59

Draylon, sympathies - my DS1 was the same, we battled on and somehow (God knows how) he ended up at a RG uni.

I have no advice; we took away DS's PC/laptop (from his room) for a time until he started to apply himself. We got a tutor for Chemistry, DH was tutoring him in Maths. It was horrendous, the most stressful two years of my life and I'm not sure I'd recommend it tbh.

I'd suggest leaving him until his mocks and then pulling him out if he hasn't applied himself. Sometimes they Just. Don't. Get. It. sad

flowers for you, I so identify with your posts.

Auntpetunia2015 Mon 05-Oct-15 21:53:50

Oh Draylon that is tough, I have no advice but can offer tea and a listening ear, is there a local college with more vocational courses yiu could look at to try and get him engaged at all.

titchy Mon 05-Oct-15 22:15:30

His maths results aren't that bad...... B/C grade maybe? Tbh from a B at GCSE a grade D would be pretty good.

Has the college said anything? Dd has told me of several people in her classes who have been asked to have quiet conversations with the tutors in the last week or so.... They also call parents in during the second half of term 1 if things are going astray, so maybe hold out till you actually had a progress report from the college. They'll have seen it all before and are probably much better placed than any of us.

SugarPlumTree Tue 06-Oct-15 07:06:39

Sorry you are going through this Drayton, how stressful flowersNothing to add other than have seen a few struggle with 6th form when they don't know what they want to do afterwards.

I would be tempted to step back for now for your sanity's sake. A few around here have ended up doing an extra year for 6th form when year 12 has gone wrong plus a couple have gone off to do apprenticeships . At this point I would put the responsibility on to him, horse to water and all that.

GloriaHotcakes Tue 06-Oct-15 07:08:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigTillyMint Tue 06-Oct-15 09:23:31

Draylon flowerswinecake - it's horrible watching them immaturely fail to take responsibility for themselves

mummytime Tue 06-Oct-15 09:49:17

It is hideous.

Do try to talk to the Sixth Form and see what they say.

Does he know what he wants to do? Maybe you can get him some careers advice?

I'd also be inclined to let him fail, and deal with the consequences.

Quite a lot of students at DDs Sixth Form seem to have failed a year and be repeating. But how successful this will be depends on how much the motivation comes from them. Some parents don't help by putting too much pressure on (I heard one talking about how her DD needed to have no social life and they'd get her Tutors just so she got the A'level grades, and I just wondered how they thought she'd cope with Uni if she had no self-motivation skills and maybe wasn't that bright).

Draylon Tue 06-Oct-15 12:14:22

I luffs you all, thanks so much for all the input, personal experiences and advice!

I admit that yesterday evening I was fighting a rising sense of panic; but this morning (loooong lie in, I have 'done my back; (again, HCP!)), I am trying to be more positive. DS has all 4 subject so I won't see him before 4-ish.

We emailed his personal tutor suggesting there might need to be more intervention in DS's case. I think even having a grown-up who knows what lies ahead, who might be able to help DS understand that were he to get stuck in and 'pass' at least his ASs, it puts him in a far better place to exercise choice over his future direction, which is what all this is really all about, isn't it?

I admit we didn't have a Plan B or C, really, as the school was so certain that his trajectory would be GCSE, As, (poss) RG uni. TBF, DS was never convinced about his predicteds. DS is not a bloke of particular passion about anything, really, but he knew he didn't want to do any 'real' humanities; he also 'can't see himself' working outdoors (though I have dryly suggested, occasionally, that trench diggers don't get that choice...grin); and as I've pointed out to him, I don't think we will have heard of the job he might end up doing!

As for his future, he's only mentioned 'engineering' and Accountancy (!) but I believe he was just 'chanting' certainly 'Engineering' without giving it any thought, as he told me the day after his enrolment interview, when he'd cited those as future careers 'Mum I Do Not Want To Be An Engineer'- which, of course, rather beggars the question why the hell he'd told the Admission Tutor that?? (Or chose Physics AS if he 'doesn't like Physics' confused- however, flunking Maths kisses Engineering goodbye).

We haven't explored Accountancy at all, as nothing he's done or said, other than expressing 'an interest' points him in that direction.

I did visit the 6F to ask what might happen if DS flunked his predicteds, the closest to a Plan B I got, I suppose, and was told of DS who do restart ASs/BTECs in Y13, lower ranked AS/A2 that might be more suitable etc. Anyway, apart from the AS swap of Chemistry (B) to Geog (A), and the discussion about Maths v. Use of Maths, DS was more or less 'back on course'- except he isn't.

OOI, the other tutoree in his Maths told us that she knew of DC who'd been asked to leave AS Maths already; which DS hasn't.

Finally, I 100% agree that getting a B in GCSE maths and being on track for a D (possibly) in his AS Maths 'is fine' but, in DS's proposed trajectory, it isn't. I get entirely that for a DC who is heading for Admin Managerial training, or Accountancy Assistant positions, it would be a good and useful qualification (just as they are good jobs); but when hung together with Geog, Physics and Economics AS/poss A2, it's the weakest link, isn't it? I asked on another thread what 'use' low grade A2s are with virtually no response; I think because a DC who transpires to be destined for low grade A2s would've been better served on a BTEC/HNC style course and possibly shouldn't have embarked on the A2s at all. This might be where DS is at!

SugarPlumTree Tue 06-Oct-15 12:45:35

Would it help to know Friend's child got onto a Higher Apprenticeship with PWC this summer with BCD Draylon? The D was in Maths. Starting salaries around 17k and accountancy exams paid for.

Draylon Tue 06-Oct-15 12:54:15

That's interesting, Sugar. I think a Higher Apprenticeship would suit DS, down the line; Maybe this is the answer to 'what use are low(er) grade A2s? I admit that I have anecdotally heard that Higher Apprenticeships are fiercely fought over, though, because they are a sometimes 'free' way of getting a degree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now