Talk

Advanced search

DS1 is away on a trip next week, what happens about missed work?

(5 Posts)
SourceofInformation Fri 02-Oct-15 18:06:48

Yr 10. He's going to France as part of his Catering and Hospitality course(he's not doing French)

It was against my better judgement really, as we don't see Catering as his most important subject, but a "lighter" option for one of his 12 shock GCSEs. All the others are academic subjects and school doesn't come easily to him, so TBH I think he'd be better off in school, but he wanted to go, everyone else on the course is going (16/19 are going) etc etc so I agreed.

So should I, or he, be talking to teachers about what he need to do to catch up missed work, or as he's away with school will they have that covered?

If I leave it to him it won't happen so I was thinking of emailing the teachers, but is that OTT?

TeenAndTween Fri 02-Oct-15 19:23:17

He needs to catch up with the teachers individually as soon as he is back (or before he goes away)
Ideally also ask a mate in each subject to email him topics covered in lessons and any homework set.

Is he away all week? I'm amazed the staff in other subjects are standing for that.

(Also wondering what they are learning in France that they couldn't do locally...)

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Oct-15 10:36:26

He needs to catch up. He needs to borrow a classmate's book and copy notes, find out any missed homework and give it a go.

The responsibility is on the student to catch up, not the teacher to catch them up. If he really struggles with something he has missed, then he should ask for help with it.

meditrina Sat 03-Oct-15 10:42:23

As it's a whole subject cohort going, the other staff will be aware of it, and so should have catch-up work ready for when those who were away ask for it.

(that is if inter-departmental communication is normal and the HoY is diligent)

As some subjects, like geography, have always had field trips, there should be a pretty well-trodden path for dealing with such absences (eg no penalty for handing in homework late for one week after the trip, as even the most diligent have trouble fitting two weeks worth into one week).

rosesarered9 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:49:16

At DS' school, it is up to him to catch up on missed work. A boy at his school didn't catch up after the teacher had relentlessly "asked" him to do it. He ended up getting a SIMS entry and a detention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now