Talk

Advanced search

3.5 hours of rugby? Is this OK?

(9 Posts)
mellicauli Fri 02-Oct-15 10:34:11

My son is Y7 and has triple games on Friday afternoon which lasts 2 hours. He has successfully managed to catch a ball so has now been signed up for compulsory afterschool rugby which lasts 1.5 hours. He seems pretty cool with this as he is pretty sporty and probably hasn't realised yet what he has been signed up for.

I am a bit concerned that this seems a bit much...won't they start getting exhausted & clumsy after a couple of hours? Won't this cause injuries?

Thinking about ringing the school to see if they just haven't noticed this timetabling issue or am I just projecting my own (negative) feelings about 3.5 hours of sport here?

mellicauli Fri 02-Oct-15 10:35:08

just to make it clear..rugby practice is also on a Friday

FanSpamTastic Fri 02-Oct-15 10:41:36

Is the 2 hours of PE always going to be rugby? At my dc's school PE is not just physical activity - it also has an academic side. They have to observe, report and plan activities. So some sitting, standing around and writing involved. Wait and see how he gets on.

mellicauli Fri 02-Oct-15 10:49:36

That's reassuring. I don't think it will always be rugby. They have swimming and cross country as well. Sounds as if PE has changed a bit from my day. I guess it will probably take them forever to get changed as well.
Good advice thank you. I shall hold fire

SoupDragon Fri 02-Oct-15 10:57:32

Thinking about ringing the school to see if they just haven't noticed this timetabling issue

I imagine that the timetable has been the same for many years. At DSs school, games is always on the same day for, say, y7 as is the rugby training for that age group. That said, I don't think they are on the same day as each other.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 02-Oct-15 12:48:36

Yesterday DD (y7) had double netball in the morning (1.5 hours), netball practice at lunchtime (1hr) and then netball match after school (1hr). So I think 3.5 hours in a day is pretty normal.

Waitingandhoping2015 Fri 02-Oct-15 13:24:10

It's rugby so it's fine. Most of the time they stand around bored doing nothing so it's hardly too much exertion; they could play all day! Need to do a proper sport with a correctly shaped (spherical) ball like football...

TigerFeat Fri 02-Oct-15 13:27:03

You did say year 7, not age 7?

He'll be fine.

angelcake20 Fri 02-Oct-15 14:23:16

Sounds normal to us. DS also has Games all Friday afternoon (1 term rugby, 1 hockey, 1 cricket), matches Saturday morning and after school practice on Monday (all compulsory for the relatively competent). He should also be doing an evening session of fitness but it clashes. Bit daft to schedule practice straight after Games but DS goes on to a different sport club afterwards from choice. At DS's school, PE is separate from Games and covers swimming, fitness, badminton, gymnastics, tennis, athletics etc in 4 week blocks according to the time of year. Year 6 Dd did 2 hours netball tournament, then 1.5 hours of rugby yesterday and another day consists of PE then netball practice then badminton. I think mine have it quite easy compared with their peers who are doing gymnastics/swimming/tennis 6+ times a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now