Talk

Advanced search

Surrey grammar schools tests

(8 Posts)
ThePan15 Sun 27-Sep-15 01:05:53

Anybody else in a similar boat or who can provide some insight?

My DS has passed the SET exam and is planning to sit the second stage tests next week.

He is a bright boy (not genius level like some applying for these schools im sure) but we put him in to try for the grammars as it is not too far from us and we thought it would be worth a go, nothing to lose.

But thinking about it now and going through the prep books for maths and things it all seems a bit contradictory.
At the Wilsons headmaster's talk he specifically said do not tutor them etc but some of the maths concepts for example he has not come across before! Once we have gone through them he picks them up very quickly but it seems pretty unfair that in subjects like maths where the questions rely on the boys understanding the process, they are testing areas they have not yet covered at school.
Yet still saying do not tutor :/

Not sure how I can prepare him for the second stage English tests as from browsing the 11+ forum it seems it relies heavily on their writing but I don't see how this can be strengthened (in 7 days nonetheless!). Maths we have been through level 6 past SATs papers, not sure if this is right or wrong either.

I'm in two minds whether I want him to get through, don't get me wrong I loved the schools when I looked at them and he seems very keen but he may pass these second stages and still not get a place anyway. Poor boys it is so hard and they are still so young.
I have resigned it all to what will be will be!

Ladymuck Sun 27-Sep-15 09:30:52

It is unfair in one sense, as primary schools all approach their curriculum differently, so what is taught in year 5 in one school can be very different from the next. However if he has passed the SET I don't think you need to give up just yet. Did he score high enough to qualify for WCGS?

How can you prepare at this stage? I would suggest doing some writing each day (SGS will ask for 2 x 30 minute essays, Wilsons 1 50 minute piece in response to some information), in particular practicing different styles (diary, newspaper account, formal and informal letter). Then together look through at what he could improve (eg is he remembering to use his wide vocab whilst concentrating on a letter?).

Looking at the level 6 SATS material is probably the right way to go at this stage. Whilst the numbers sitting can be daunting bear in mind that there are 435 places across the 3 schools and many boys will also be sitting for one of Tiffin or St Olaves as well as the independents.

SelfRaisingFlour Sun 27-Sep-15 11:28:36

Yes, the Wilson's head says not to tutor, but everyone does, but not necessarily paid tutoring. The test covers the curriculum for end of year 6, but is done at the beginning of year 6 and you can't expect a child to learn the topics during an exam.

The Head said at Open Evening that you just need to go to your son's teacher and say "my son is bright, can you please give him some harder work". That was pretty funny.

My elder son is at Wilson's and my younger son has just passed the SET and qualified for WCGS. Wilson's is a great school and it's worth making the effort. Your son is obviously bright if he passed the SET.

MumTryingHerBest Sun 27-Sep-15 11:54:16

ThePan15 My DS has passed the SET exam and is planning to sit the second stage tests next week.

Well done to your DS.

it is not too far from us and we thought it would be worth a go, nothing to lose.

Based on this you should carry on.

going through the prep books for maths and things...

Check here for the correct prep. material and post for further advice on the English:

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=30

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43822

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43763

At the Wilsons headmaster's talk he specifically said do not tutor them etc

Any head that shows this level of ignorance would have me concerned. You just have to google 11 plus tution and the area to see how much tutoring is going on.

Once we have gone through them he picks them up very quickly

That's a good sign that he will cope in the school.

it seems pretty unfair that in subjects like maths where the questions rely on the boys understanding the process, they are testing areas they have not yet covered at school.

Which surely should indicate to the Headmaster that there is a fair amount of tuition taking place. How else are so many children able to tackle the exam papers, he can't possibly think they are guessing the answers correctly?

Not sure how I can prepare him for the second stage English tests as from browsing the 11+ forum it seems it relies heavily on their writing but I don't see how this can be strengthened (in 7 days nonetheless!).

Post for advice on the forum linked above. Some prep. will be better than none. Discuss it with your DC and make sure that not getting through is not the end of the world and he has already done really well on the first stage.

Maths we have been through level 6 past SATs papers, not sure if this is right or wrong either.

Again check the recommended material on the forum link above.

he seems very keen but he may pass these second stages and still not get a place anyway ... I have resigned it all to what will be will be!

This is the best attitude to have. All is not lost if your DC does not get a place. Make sure you are happy with the alternatives as it will help with the pressure.

Maths007 Sun 27-Sep-15 20:34:32

Don't tutor is funny.

However these school take many boys that are tutored. The private schools are worse they give huge scholarships to the ones that have been tutored.

DanFmDorking Sun 27-Sep-15 21:40:06

Just to make a point that Surrey County Council doesn’t have Grammar Schools.
Wilson’s School is in the London Borough of Sutton.

ThePan15 Sun 27-Sep-15 22:38:11

Thank you for the advice, tips and links I really appreciate it. I will try different writing styles this week after school and try and work through any areas he is uncertain of.
DS has been invited to the second stage tests but did meet the required standard for WCGS unfortunately.

It's nice to hear you are pleased with Wilsons, will your son be sitting the second stage tests too? From our location, SGS would be an easier journey than Wilsons so is our preferred school but to be honest either would be a blessing!

MuddyGardener Mon 28-Sep-15 12:30:16

We are in a similar boat, having taken and passed the Stage 1 test. We are planning to sit Stage 2 Wilson's, and are doing some additional prep for this: writing and reviewing some essays, and working out some maths word problems. This feels useful - although it is unlikely to accomplish miracles I think it will help DS feel more confident because he will feel like he has prepared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now