Talk

Advanced search

Liverpool Bluecoat. Anyone else's DC trying this year, or already there? Or tried but didn't get in? Actually anyone else got 11+ Exam day tips?

(5 Posts)
TheOriginalMerylStrop Sat 26-Sep-15 18:59:03

Anyone else doing Bluecoat entrance next week?

DS has decided he wants to take the Liverpool Bluecoat Entrance exam. We've put his name down and have been doing practice papers with him for a couple of months but as we are out of borough not sure how much drilling/cramming/practice is normal amongst kids in Liverpool primaries.

We got the confirmation email yesterday - 926 kids entering the exam. 150 places. Sounds horrific. Trying to be normal and relaxed about it with DS - my view is if he doesn't get in, it's not the right school for him. He's very relaxed currently but I wonder if how he will feel confronted by the hordes.....

Any last minute tips or experience to share?

Allice Sat 26-Sep-15 19:25:48

My daughter did the CSSE one in Essex, there were loads and loads of them there, apparently 4,500 over the whole day for less than 200 places at CCHSG.

Only advice I have is to keep calm, you'll feel much better once it's over!

DontCallMeBaby Sat 26-Sep-15 22:40:06

DD did 11+ last year for county grammar schools including one which is incredibly competitive. I made it clear that, while it would be amazing if she got in, it wouldn't really mean anything if she didn't. I don't know if that helped, but she was very calm on the day. There were a lot of kids there (just one of seven schools hosting the exam that day) but it was VERY well organised. Read and reread the instructions for the day - I had a text from a friend asking for info on behalf of another friend whose daughter was sitting at the same centre, and she'd clearly not read the instructions. I think I worried more about that child being dropped off by her clueless dad who hadn't been briefed by his ex-wife, who hadn't read the letter than I did about DD!

Electrolux2 Sat 26-Sep-15 23:00:06

Not blue coat but my daughter did her 11+ a couple of weeks ago.

My tips. Get there in plenty of time as parking was a problem around the grammar where my daughter sat hers.
We parked up and then went for a walk talking about skylanders and such.
We walked in to the school not too early so she didn't have to wait about
The parents were all much more nervous than the children, who were all smiling

While I was sat waiting for her I talked to several other parents.
Some had done no tutoring at home or out of home
Some had done DIY to an insane level - one girls father had his daughter doing 20 papers a week
Some had just done this familiarisation packs the LA sent
Some had done 6 months tutoring

Most had done something. Actually only one person claimed to have done no tutoring at all but I tend not to believe everything I'm told about this subject

We aren't too far from you.

Good luck and hope it all goes well

TheOriginalMerylStrop Sun 27-Sep-15 16:33:38

Thanks all

Part of me thinks if he got in it would be an amazing opportunity for him and that he would just love being with other motivated, academically oriented kids. The other part of me wonders if it would be relentless pressure, even if in a nice environment.

Whole thing seems like a lot for a 10 year old to deal with. Hey ho.

926 kids though. Blimey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now