Talk

Advanced search

Can someone enlighten me about the timetable for secondary school applications?

(14 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 08-Sep-15 12:34:23

DD1 will go into secondary school in Sept 2017 (so year 5 now). My understanding is that 11+ exams are in Sept 2016 so I'm starting to panic that sometime between now and then there is bound to be an application form that I need to get hold of (ensure I've received)? Can anyone tell me how the process works (generally) and (roughly) what the timetable is so that I don't have nightmares all year that I've slipped through the net somehow.

redskybynight Tue 08-Sep-15 13:01:12

You don't need to apply until October 2016 and admissions won't open until September next year. Not sure if all 11+ areas do the same, but generally if DD is at a primary school in the 11+ area (i.e. not out of catchment) she will be automatically entered unless you opt out. Admissions arrangement information for this year is starting to be available now, so I'd just look at your local area's admissions website and mentally move all the dates back by a year.

EldonAve Tue 08-Sep-15 13:25:05

Some tests are earlier
The Sutton schools have a prelim test in Sept

Pneumometer Tue 08-Sep-15 13:27:23

11+ arrangements vary by location. Where are you?

Not sure if all 11+ areas do the same, but generally if DD is at a primary school in the 11+ area (i.e. not out of catchment) she will be automatically entered unless you opt out.

That may be true for Kent or Buckingham or the Wirral. For places with super-selective grammars it isn't, and you need to apply separately. during Y5 (or possibly right at the start of Y6).

thanksamillion Tue 08-Sep-15 13:44:53

If you're in Gloucester you need to apply for the 11+ in June (I think). It's online and the school should notify you.

You may find that the Grammar schools have open days which you can attend now (Sept/Oct) but also in May. Lots of my DDs friends had been to look round in the Autumn of Y5.

Also lots of people start tutoring now, or at the latest Christmas. This is not compulsory though!

YetAnotherUserName Tue 08-Sep-15 13:57:15

I think that for all state schools, the Common Application Form (CAF) has to be submitted to the Local Authority at the end of Oct when your child is in year 6.

Many secondary schools have open days / evenings in September. You may wish to see the schools in your area this year as well, rather than waiting till next (with only a month to go before CAF deadline). Lots of people in our area do this.

For grammar schools, they are also to be applied for through the CAF, but you may have to additionally apply to sit the 11+. That is some times done directly with the grammar school. Our local grammars have a deadline in June, to sit the exam in Sep. We are not a grammar county, so the exam application is done directly with the school.

It really depends on your area and the grammar school that you're interested in. You may want to look at the eleven plus forum for more info re grammar schools.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 08-Sep-15 14:17:07

You have two sets of forms to worry about. The first are (depending on where you are) forms to register to sit the 11+. Where I am in Essex you have to register early in the summer term of Y5 in order to sit the exam in Sept Y6.
Then you also need to submit a CAF application to you local authority listing your preferred schools in order of preference, this happens autumn term Y6. You will hear what place you have been allocated March Y6.

The best places for info are your LA website and the websites of schools you are considering. At the moment they will mostly be focusing on children currently in Y6, especially in 11+ areas where exams start this weekend.

SelfRaisingFlour Tue 08-Sep-15 16:12:31

Check the websites of the schools you are interested in. They will tell you about exams and when to apply for them. Church schools will also have supplementary forms. The borough/county websites will also give information about schools.

PettsWoodParadise Tue 08-Sep-15 20:18:15

The Elevenplusexams website is a mine of information. In our area you have to opt in to the exams, no automatic registration. I have a spreadsheet of paperwork deadlines, tests, test results and open days etc. It's like having a second job! I am a bit obsessed...but our journey is a year ahead of yours. First test this Saturday...

Bolograph Tue 08-Sep-15 20:39:59

The Elevenplusexams website is a mine of information

You know that episode of The West Wing in which Josh discovers LemonLimon.Com, and finds that the people who at first sight appear to be his fans are, in fact, completely unhinged?

Some of the people over on EPF have, to put it mildly, strong views.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 09-Sep-15 00:44:01

Some of the forum can be a bit mad...but are mostly lovely and helpful.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 09-Sep-15 07:09:01

I was over there for years, long before I came here, and there's a lot more insanity on MN than there, imo!

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 09-Sep-15 07:11:20

But yes MrsFogi, have a look at your council website and the sites of any schools you're interested in, and all the information should be clearly laid out. For my local grammars, one has to register by (something like) 20th June of y5.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 09-Sep-15 21:30:59

For some grammars there are three or more steps. Register for test, submit a SIF (supplementary info form), sometimes sit a second test if score high enough on first test, put school on SCAF. Then even if you pass if it isn't a superselective based on score DC may fail to get in despite a 'pass' due to distance over subscription criteria. Yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now