loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's DC heading into Year 11?

(1000 Posts)
OnTheBirdBranch Tue 25-Aug-15 17:06:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 26-Aug-15 11:35:11

Hi - Thought about starting one of these but you have already done it.

<pours vodka>

Northernsoul58 Thu 27-Aug-15 17:18:51

Lurking with intent... and a bottle of wine.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 27-Aug-15 17:25:22

Also bringing wine.

DS1 did one exam this summer, but I didn't realise he was allowed to go in and collect the result with the Y11s, so I've already managed a parental fail before September has even started.

He has a German controlled assessment in the first week back, and has been doing a bit of revision, but is going to a festival this weekend so I doubt that any more will get done.

OnTheBirdBranch Thu 27-Aug-15 17:47:08

floppyjogger Thu 27-Aug-15 17:56:28

I'll bring some wine and some more wine i think i'm going to need it!

DD is heading into year 11 with absolutely no enthusiasm because she doesnt know what she wants to do with her life so throws every bit of energy she does have into gawping at her i phone hmm

Its going to be a very long year in our house!

ellaballoo Thu 27-Aug-15 18:01:05

Don't want to wish my life away but I am.
She did 2 this year ...what a joyful taster of things to come.
I know exactly what you mean about phone gawping ..although I can't talk.

YeOldeTrout Thu 27-Aug-15 18:27:43

(squeak) hullo. DS is a determined underachiever so this year should be fun Not

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 27-Aug-15 19:02:58

I suppose we should be starting to look at post-GCSE options but it's difficult when we have no idea how DS1 will do. His grades can vary between A* and U, sometimes in the same subject. The results of his mocks might give us some idea, but that will be late January, so might be a bit late to be looking at education options.

DS1 has aspirations that exceed his ability and inclination to study. He wants to do medicine and refuses to consider any other career, but he'll be lucky if he gets a B in Maths or Chemistry, let alone an A. I think he would really struggle with Maths and Science A-levels, but he won't listen to DH or me (both medical school graduates).

After much effort trying and failing to dissuade him, I have now told him that I will support him "as far through the process as he is able to get."

Frustratingly, he is gifted at History and English.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 27-Aug-15 19:04:14

mine smile
starting to think about next steps too. argh, how can that be?

OnTheBirdBranch Thu 27-Aug-15 19:05:08

floppyjogger Thu 27-Aug-15 19:21:51

DD is only a B/C student which worries me now the marking system has changed and her Cs might fall to Ds if she doesnt give it her all.

I just wish she had a tiny inkling of what she wants to do. One minute she wants to be a midwife, then its hair and beauty followed by a big announcement that she wants an uncomplicated life working at Tesco with a door slam thrown in for good measure confused

I'm always amazed how many Dc have a clear plan of what they want and how they are going to get there <total despair face>!

ladygracie Thu 27-Aug-15 19:24:25

My dd is going into Year 11 too. She's actually worked quite hard over the holidays and has a very clear idea of what she wants to do which helps with motivation for her I think.

slicedfinger Thu 27-Aug-15 19:25:02

Me too!
DD did two 'half GCSEs' this year. Proper ones to follow this year.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 27-Aug-15 19:51:15

I'm quite relieved that this year group are doing the old-style GCSEs in every subject. Their grades will be all in the same format (A*-G) and the syllabus is well-established, with revision guides and past papers easily available.

boys3 Thu 27-Aug-15 20:20:19

A week tomorrow and DS2 starts year 11. It will be interesting to see whether he knuckles down or not, he certainly can be very capable but just needs to choose to apply himself consistently. Never mind the wine a regular [gin] emoticon is what's needed smile DS1 had a pretty clear view at this stage as to his likely subjects for A level, no such luck with DS2 and sixth form open evenings aren't too long away either. Not quite sure how smooth the sailing this time round is likely to be.

OnTheBirdBranch Thu 27-Aug-15 20:31:59

Shineyshoes10 Thu 27-Aug-15 20:33:27

Think lots of wine will be needed this year.

DD2 did a gcse last year and 2 this year. Very little homework appears to have been done so far. Including no prep for a German CA as far as I have seen which is her weakest subject.

second I too am glad it's all in the current format and not the guinea pigs.

Bunbaker Thu 27-Aug-15 20:38:21

Another year 11 parent here. DD actually has a month of year 11 under her belt as they always start the new academic year at the end of June. She did 2 GCSEs this year with good results and I hope she can do as well with the rest of them.

She is bright but lacks motivation and is always full of good intentions. Procrastination is her motto.

I am not looking forward to the next three years.

YippeeTeenager Thu 27-Aug-15 22:18:45

Hello everyone, very glad you've started this thread. DD starting Year 11 next week and is starting to get nervous. Did one GSCE this year which went well but it seems like a mountain before us. Not sure how she'll cope with the stress and sustaining the effort for such a long stretch. Lots of wine lined up here. Could do with some hand holding confused

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 28-Aug-15 10:52:39

DD did a GCSE at the end of year 10 and did better than we hoped. She did not do too well in some of her end of year exams in other subjects so has been doing some work over the summer. It was nerve wracking going in for the one result, cannot imagine what it will be like next August.

derektheladyhamster Fri 28-Aug-15 10:58:21

Arrrrrrrrrgh all I have to say for now

ShanghaiDiva Fri 28-Aug-15 11:00:55

We are overseas so igcse here and no controlled assessments - they sound like a nightmare. 4 down, 6 more to do and 2 ASs. All exam based, no course work which suits ds. Hard to believe in 9 months (igcse usually finish in May) it will all be over - seems like such a lot of work to be done in a short time!

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 28-Aug-15 14:48:08

I too am relieved that ours will not be the first to take the new exam, but I have concerns that the current exams will not carry as much kudos when the new ones come into force. Although I have to keep reminding myself that no one gives a damn about your O'Levels, GCSE's whatever by the time you get to University.

I used to criticise the controlled assessments, but for some of DDs subjects I think it will help her to get a better grade as her exam technique is not all it could be.

flatmouse Fri 28-Aug-15 14:58:20

Can i join? DS going into Y11, and he's my first to do it. The state i got into around Y10 mocks not sure how i'm going to cope with Y11 mocks/sixth form choice/GCSCs/prom let alone him!!
He realises he has a lot to do next year. Did OK in Y10 mocks (I was pleased) - but he wants to do better than that - but he doesn't seem to be able to motivate himself to do what he needs to do to get better results! Ho Hum!

This thread is not accepting new messages.