Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone get good grades after doing distance learning GCSE/A level

(6 Posts)
CountryLovingGirl Sat 22-Aug-15 09:35:15

Hi,

Has anyone done a GCSE or A-level via distance learning and come away with a good grade?

I want to do maths and biology again but, as a mature person who is also in employment, I don't want to do it at a college (childcare wouldn't allow anyway). I am worried I would get sub-standard support with the courses and come away with a lower grade.

I already have a good BSc and MSc. I am hoping to go into teaching but I have forgot a LOT of the GCSE/A-level work - I need to refresh.

Has anyone any good feedback?

CountryLovingGirl Sat 22-Aug-15 09:36:11

I didn't do maths at A-level btw.

2catsfighting Sat 22-Aug-15 20:14:14

I know someone who got an A for Eng Lit,but I don't think the support was that great tbh

ImperialBlether Sat 22-Aug-15 20:17:39

Back in the days before AS/A2 when you just took the exams at the end of two years (soon to be readopted grin) I got a grade B in A Level Government and Politics in six months (I was working full time.)

I did it by buying a text book and getting hold of all past papers for the past ten years (the syllabus didn't change often in those days) and sorting out all the questions into categories, writing a model answer for each question and revising and revising and revising.

Saracen Sun 23-Aug-15 00:39:09

Lots of my daughter's home ed friends have. You can do it all on your own like ImperialBlether did, or seek out a distance learning programme or (if finances allow) perhaps see a local tutor occasionally who has experience of preparing people for the specific exam you are working towards.

If you want a high level of support, you could look at the Open University's offerings, some of which may be suitable. (Do you actually need to do exams, or are you just wanting to master the content?) You wouldn't qualify for any financial support at the OU, I think, as you already have a degree, so this might be expensive.

HSMMaCM Sun 23-Aug-15 09:20:54

I did igcse science with NEC. I am useless at science and got a B.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now