Talk

Advanced search

13+ Boarding School with good learning support - South West / South East

(10 Posts)
Bella2006 Mon 17-Aug-15 11:15:47

I need some help with the next school for DS. He currently has learning support at his prep school, loves sport but is C team material. Strengths are: he is very verbally bright, social, confident and loves DT, Drama etc.

We are off to look at Clayesmore and Milfield (for the learning support not sport!). Where else is worth a look? I want to be realistic about our choices.

Any thoughts on Bedales, Canford, Cheltenham, Sherborne, Kings Bruton?

We will talk to school, but would love some advice from others.

LIZS Mon 17-Aug-15 12:20:03

What does he need support with ?

inthename Mon 17-Aug-15 14:56:25

depends on support needs, have you looked at Seaford College?

Bella2006 Mon 17-Aug-15 14:59:15

He isn't dyslexic, but has some similar difficulties with spelling and reading. He finds maths very challenging. He will qualify for extra time for his CE exams.

beachyhead Mon 17-Aug-15 14:59:27

I was going to suggest Seaford as well.

LIZS Mon 17-Aug-15 15:04:15

Seaford would be on my list too, Eastbourne College is another which I've heard good things about and Bedes. More
House perhaps but more for dyslexia.

grovel Mon 17-Aug-15 17:51:13

Shiplake? I know one very happy kid there getting additional support.

Bella2006 Mon 17-Aug-15 19:22:53

Thank you that is really helpful. Anyone have any thoughts on Milton Abbey, I keep reading conflicting reviews, GSG and Tatler seem relatively positive, but anecdotally not so good?

happygardening Mon 17-Aug-15 21:27:26

Our prep used to send boys to Milton Abbey I never once met a satisfied parent of an old Milton Abbey pupil!!! It's really is aimed at Tim nice but very dim.
Shiplake is supposed to ve good but is a bit wet IMO.
A friends dyslexic DS went to Sherbourne said the learning support was marginally better than the big name boarding school he'd just left but not amazing. Over the years I've heard some positive comments about Eastborne College learning support.
Some of those you mention will have reasonably high requirements for staying on for the 6 th form do check you don't want to have to move him. What about Wycliffe (Gloucestershire so sort of south west) I don't know much about it but someone the other week was telling me how good their learning support it, I believe they have borders.

happygardening Mon 17-Aug-15 21:33:50

A few years ago I was also told that Kent College and St Edmunds both in Canterbury both had good learning support depts especially the former which was significantly more popular than Milton Abbey with parents in DS1/2s year group who needed learning support both I believe have boarders. Bethany's was another one that parents living in Kent who had children who needed learning support looked at as Shiplake was a bit of a schlep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now