Talk

Advanced search

Best writing pens for daily use at secondary?

(21 Posts)
LilyTucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:25:03

What are they expected to take? Fountain pens? Biros,if so which are good?

Notebooks,what size?

ButterflyUpSoHigh Sun 16-Aug-15 17:35:42

My Dd likes normal Bic ballpoint pens. They can write in black or blue and have to do corrections in green.

She hasn't needed any paper they get exercise books for every subject.

TeenAndTween Sun 16-Aug-15 18:49:01

DD used a stabilo easy move (or something like that) roller ball that took cartridges.
Do any kids use fountain pens?
I don't think biros do much for handwriting personally, but I'm ancient.

No notebooks required, school provided anything required.

However I did provide DD with a spiral bound A4 notebook for home use as a 'rough' book. She did all prep for homework etc in that, and we used it for practice maths questions, planning essays, explaining science etc etc. She got through about 1 per academic year (2 in y11) and it massively helped everything stay together and not be overwhelmed by random bits of paper. It also meant that stuff could on rare occasions be looked back for if needed.

noblegiraffe Sun 16-Aug-15 19:44:17

Girl or boy?

Girls will need a pencil case stuffed with nice sparkly pens in different colours.

Boys will need to shove a half eaten cheap biro in their pocket.

Don't buy fountain pens.

ttlshiwwya Sun 16-Aug-15 19:59:27

DS1 black Bic ballpoints
DS2 pilot eraserable roller balls
DD Stabilo fineliner (she's left handed and finds these don't smudge).

All good but Bics best value for sure.

State school so all exercise books provided - they just use cheap printer paper for anything they do at home.

YeOldeTrout Sun 16-Aug-15 20:16:40

DD has FIVE Frixion pens in her blazer (5 different colours).

DS1 sometimes remembers to bring a pencil (sigh).

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 16-Aug-15 21:00:54

Pens are a combination of:
Lamy safari
Stabilo Easymove
Jetstream & Zebra

Once they start doing external exams, they need to write in black ink.

Mine have always had exercise books provided for every subject.

Mindgone Mon 17-Aug-15 01:35:15

Orange bic biros are DS1's all time favourite! They have a finer tip than the clear ones. We buy them by the box from Amazon. He's a leftie too, and they don't smudge.

ifonly4 Mon 17-Aug-15 10:03:21

DC only ever uses biros - bought from Wilkinson, Tesco & Bics own - they all seem to last about same amount of time to me. Going into Year 10, school have pointed out they'll need black pens (any sort) for exam work, but she can still use blue for general work.

Happy36 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:07:29

These are really, really popular at my school: Pilot Frixtion Gel 0.7 Erasable Rollerball.

www.dailypens.co.uk/blog/tag/pilot-frixtion-gel-0-7-erasable-rollerball-pen-review/

I use them myself and confirm they are very pleasant and comfortable to write with quickly.

However, they are relatively expensive, so I would provide some trusty Biros as back-up.

Sometimes teachers prefer black pens, so check before shelling out for too many blue ones. Also, for public examinations, students almost always need to use black ink so many schools have a rule that all of the exams. (including internal ones and for lower year groups) are written in black ink so that students get into the habit.

Hope this helps.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 17-Aug-15 18:12:38

Don't use the friction-erasable pens for exams; the heat of the scanner causes the ink to fade and even disappear.

MadamArcatiAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 18:48:02

They re not allowed gel pens at Dc's school or erasable pens.

clary Tue 18-Aug-15 15:57:58

Bic black Biro is good.

Please make sure they have several as IME students (especially boys!) break/chew/cause them to explode at the earliest opportunity hmm

No notebooks needed at my school or my DCs' school.

grin @ noblegiraffe half eaten is right on the money!

We have just been stationery shopping actually; contrary to what I have just written, DD just wanted "some pens; Bic are fine; no I don't need to be there; no I don't need a new pencil case"; while DS2 (12) had to have new crayons, new pencil case, fancy fineliner pens, fancy fineliner colours "for geography" hmm, maths instruments, rubber, new pencils and post-in strips.

SueDunome Tue 18-Aug-15 22:43:37

Four-colour biro pen is dd's favourite at the moment - apparently the teachers encourage them to use them.

balletgirlcantaccessemail Tue 18-Aug-15 23:02:50

Lamy pens are reccomended at dds school.

Bunbaker Wed 19-Aug-15 23:05:16

Bic Cristal ballpoint pens are much better value than own brand. I like the Papermate Inkjoy as they write very smoothly.

littledrummergirl Wed 19-Aug-15 23:31:51

Mine had handwriting pens in blue and black, one fountain pen, cheap bit is in blue, black, red and green, cheap highlighter pens, cheap pencils, ruler, eraser, tippex, coloured pencils and a geography set at the start of the year.

By the end- half a pencil, a Boro and a broken rulerhmm
Hth

Bunbaker Wed 19-Aug-15 23:43:18

I am very surprised that secondary school children use fountain pens.

busymummy3 Wed 19-Aug-15 23:58:16

I feel like we have had every pen known to man here ! Between 3 DC 2 are left handed,one has just completed A levels , one has just completed GCSE's ( boy with half broken chewed pen in pocket spot on Noblegiraffe) and one who will be going into Y8 the vote goes to the humble crystal BIC no other pen will do .

Gooseberrycrumble2 Thu 20-Aug-15 00:03:06

My DC was horrified at the price of gel pens particularly considering how quickly the fluid goes. He wants me to buy him standard bic pens or similar

PolterGoose Thu 20-Aug-15 09:33:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now