Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Durham University question

(6 Posts)
MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Sun 16-Aug-15 09:43:32

Do they teach 1-1 at Durham like they do at Oxford? I know it's a funny question but DS doesn't like the thought of 1-1 so wanted to know before looking at it. When he went to Oxford recently they said they have 3 1-1 lessons a week which last upto 3 hours. I'm wondering if he misunderstood.

Thank you.

grovel Sun 16-Aug-15 10:02:09

There was no 1-1 for my DS (Politics).

Katkat50 Sun 16-Aug-15 10:03:20

My son is also going to Durham (so excited and delighted that he got in with a near miss!). He did a week's summer school there last year and there was no mention of 1-1s , so I don't think they do. I'm sure there will be another parent who could confirm this.
Which college is you DS going to? Mine is off to Collingwood. ��

mateysmum Sun 16-Aug-15 10:08:46

I went to Oxford and DS is looking at Durham. I don't think they have 1:1's at Durham. At Oxford the amount of 1:1 would vary depending on the course and possibly on the college and would vary from term to term. sometimes it may be only 1 tutorial a week, 3 would be tops (at least for History). What subject is your DS looking at?

Tutorials are also sometimes 2:1 which takes the pressure off a bit. Normally a tutorial would be an hour, so 3 hours total max, not 3 hours per tutorial!!

CommanderShepard Sun 16-Aug-15 10:10:19

Depends on your subject but usually not until you're doing your dissertation in final year.

Durham's fab - loads of mumsnetters were there and we all have great memories smile

Baffledmumtoday Sun 16-Aug-15 10:14:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now