Talk

Advanced search

AS results

(36 Posts)
fernandes71 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:48:29

My son did unexpectedly badly in his AS levels and has to resit the year. The school is not letting him resit and he has to change schools. Have no idea how to go about this and am completely stressed. Any ideas? he did really well in his GCSCe. Any ideas/tips?

LIZS Thu 13-Aug-15 16:51:01

Is this a private school, I can't imagine a state school being able to ? Could you look at 6th form or FE college instead?

fernandes71 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:55:35

It's a grammar school. going there tomorrow to check options but this is what they have told him today

tiggytape Thu 13-Aug-15 17:22:46

All state schools can set minimum grade requirements to continue into Year 13. Many non selective state comprehensive schools do this too so in itself, it is allowed. And many do not allow or cannot accommodate Year 12 repeats.

However, what you might need to consider are: are the minimum grade requirements for Year 13 published and known? Are all pupils who achieved the same AS grades being treated identically (i.e. forced to continue studies elsewhere) or have any been allowed to repeat Year 12?
Are there any mitigating factors at all eg long term illness in Year 12?
It is certainly worth both of you speaking with the school to see if anything can be done but from the point of view that you would like their support in this.

bigbluebus Thu 13-Aug-15 19:41:21

I think this may possibly be due partly to funding. Does your DS actually want to re-sit a whole year of the subjects he has just done badly in or would it be better for him to change subjects? I know at DS's 6th form, people who did badly in AS but who wanted to continue with those subjects, had to do re-sits alongside A2's and only those who realised they had chosen subjects they seemed to be struggling with and changed to different subjects were allowed to re-sit year 12. Something to do with the funding being for a different course if they change subjects, I think.
Of course, with it being a Grammar school they might just be thinking of their league tables/results.

fernandes71 Fri 14-Aug-15 05:50:50

Thank you tiggytape and bigbluebus. We are going to school today to check our options. Unfortunately he had done poorly on all 3 subjects and cannot carry on to year 13.

JeanSeberg Fri 14-Aug-15 06:04:28

Would he consider a college instead and do eg a btec? What subjects does he study (eg science, languages, humanities)?

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 14-Aug-15 06:12:48

I teach at a grammar school and every year there are some students who don't make the minimum grades to continue. When it is in all subjects they are usually called in for a discussion. It may not be possible to repeat the year in a small school due to timetabling and class sizes. For example, a scientist would struggle as those classes are usually full, or an unusual combination may not be possible due to a timetable clash.
Students are counselled and supported through their decisions. Often a new start, with new subjects can be very beneficial. It's difficult to repeat a year at the school you're already at for social reasons, I have seen this be successful and unsuccessful.
Good luck with the meeting.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 14-Aug-15 06:30:07

Agree that a new start might be better than rehashing same stuff. It generally doesn't work. IME, they tend to have an attitude of "I know this already" and get a bit cocky. The truth bring that if they did indeed already know it they would be in year 13 by now. Socially it can be hard to stay at the same school and watch your peers go without you.

You need to ask the right questions today - do his subject teachers think he's capable? Did they realise he would do badly? Did they tell you? Did your dc do anything about it?

Good luck to you

fernandes71 Fri 14-Aug-15 07:28:06

Thank you all for the feedback. Will definitely ask the above questions honeysuckle jasmine. It's so tough knowing what to say or think. DoctorDonnaNoble would you recommend new subjects in a new school. Is that not a complete waste of a whole year? We have never looked into Btech or college and wouldn't know where to start. I am hoping the school will guide us today

fernandes71 Fri 14-Aug-15 07:29:09

JeanSeBerg he did chemistry biology and pe

JeanSeberg Fri 14-Aug-15 07:34:23

Most colleges will be having open days around now so I would recommend he attends some of those to look into other options at the same time.

Most importantly though, does he understand the reasons why things have gone wrong?

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 14-Aug-15 07:38:15

With regards subject choices, looking at our underperformers this year, they were certainly doing courses they thought they should rather than their best choices. A lot choose Maths for example that perhaps shouldn't. Also, there may be different choices at a different place. A student who's leaving us for the college is changing at least two of his subjects as there is more choice there. Several subjects, including my own English, are starting their new specifications so keeping to the same subjects will not necessarily save any work.

cricketballs Fri 14-Aug-15 07:53:08

My DS did a year of AS (history, geography, law and PE); he completely mis understood the workthick required and obviously I didn't know what I was talking about when I reminded him. He finished the year with E for history and U in all the others.

He enrolled at a different college (where he knew no one) on a BTEC course; end result is he's just finished 1st year at a good uni in a subject that he only discovered through the BTEC and, most importantly, is very happy.

As a teacher, I have seen it happen often where students don't achieve the required grades to continue with us and have been successful on different course at different providers - good luck

fernandes71 Fri 14-Aug-15 07:56:14

DoctorDonnaNoble & JeanSeBerg is college an ok option? I did my education abroad and struggle to understand. Can he then go on to Uni?

JeanSeberg Fri 14-Aug-15 08:02:29

My son is doing a Btec at college (just finished year one). Yes you can go to university afterwards, depending on your attainment of course. You are awarded UCAS points in the same way as A Levels.

Look up colleges in your area and go to the open days. I knew nothing about Btecs either prior to my (third) son starting last year and it has been the making of him.

jessabell Fri 14-Aug-15 08:02:54

Son is able to continue two to A2. Repeat an AS again. He thinking on what to do. Have suggested looking at college other courses. His sister did repeat her AS year with new subjects. As her college able to offer this. She was able to go to uni.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 14-Aug-15 08:04:41

Most people do A levels at a sixth form college I believe. They are bigger than school sixth forms and can offer a wider range of choices and combinations as a result.

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Aug-15 08:08:50

Look at 6th form colleges. There must be some near you - they are all updating their websites for next term and offering help to students who didn't get their expected grades.

Do some googling.

bikeandrun Fri 14-Aug-15 08:12:13

Sixth form funding is very tight these days. Schools don't get any funding for Y14s so repeat years only seem to happen in exceptional circumstances ( ie ill health or bereavement).
Our local college has some very good courses and gets lots of students into university. Alternative courses such as btec are accepted by universities ( less so with competitive/ Russell group courses) but maybe a student who did badly in AS needs to look a bit more widely anyway. Also please consider apprenticeships, there are some great ones around and could be a much better fresh start for some students than repeating AS levels which often has poor outcomes,of course everyone is an individual and this doesn't apply to everyone.

fernandes71 Fri 14-Aug-15 08:29:32

All of your advice has been so helpful in looking at the big picture. On our way to school now for hopefully finalising advice. Thank you all...shall keep you posted

Baregrylls Fri 14-Aug-15 11:09:29

The cynic in me thinks that grammar school sixth forms are more concerned with their results statistics than the individual student. A sixth form college will make more effort to get the right fit and provide support for students who need it.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 14-Aug-15 11:46:55

That is very cynical. I'm a sixth form tutor at a grammar school and their pastoral care is very important to me. If someone underperforms at any time of school ALL the options need considering, it's in the student's interest. Often a new start elsewhere is exactly what a student needs. It all depends on the reasons for the underperformance, hence meeting the school to talk through them can be a good thing to do.

tiggytape Fri 14-Aug-15 12:36:19

Baregrylls - there is a big jump between Year 12 and Year 13 just as there is from GCSE to A Level.
Therefore, unless there are exceptional circumstances to explain having found Year 12 difficult, it isn't in anyone's best interests to just plough on regardless into Year 13. State comprehensives take the same view and do not allow some students to continue after Year 12.

Of course there will sometimes be reasons for below expected performance and all schools will look at that and try to support students but, if the problem is having chosen the wrong subjects, taken on too much work or not being able to keep up then allowing that student to continue for another year and possibly not pass any of their subjects isn't in their best interests.

fernandes71 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:13:37

The school absolutely refuses to take year 12 repeaters; have found most colleges ask the repeater to change subject completely thus making the past year a waste and most sixth for schools do not take repeaters. Am still on the road looking for other schools and options. A complete nightmare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now