Talk

Advanced search

Only 3 AS's , what now??

(30 Posts)
Matteus21 Thu 13-Aug-15 09:37:43

Mixed bag here. DD has 2 As, one C and has failed the 4th subject altogether. She needs AAB for Uni course she wants. One of the As is in her top subject that she wants to do at Uni, so that's good. But will that failed AS hold her back massively? That year spent studying the subject she's failed was a complete waste of time if she's nothing to show for it ��

FrancesOldhamKelseyRIP Thu 13-Aug-15 09:40:08

How surprised is her teacher? Is it sufficiently unexpected to be worth a re-mark appeal?

FuzzyWizard Thu 13-Aug-15 09:42:04

AAB sounds possible to me. Speak to some admissions tutors... If they really want the AS could she pick up a new subject this year?

SwedishEdith Thu 13-Aug-15 09:59:21

Plenty fail a subject altogether at AS. I'm getting all the A2 results now and know of some getting into university having failed an AS and doing a completely new subject at A2 (AAA A2 results)

Matteus21 Thu 13-Aug-15 11:06:19

Thanks for replies.
Failed subject was dire, not a re-mark situation, sadly. Hadn't thought of her taking a new subject from scratch. , that sounds daunting, and would take her focus off her main subjects.. Replies seem to confirm my worries that she DOES need to get 4 AS's and 3 won't do. confused sad
Don't know how to talk to admissions tutors, who where how. ! DD won't see tutor at schools for another 3 weeks confused confused

chamerion Thu 13-Aug-15 11:09:47

Can you email her tutor?

Capewrath Thu 13-Aug-15 11:14:47

I'm not at all sure you are right. The aggregate UMS scores are important, but most if the admissions tutors I have heard recently have said clearly that they are interested in three good grades not four or indeed more, and a passion for the subject. Only four where eg they discount one, like maths and further maths counted together to be one.

catslife Thu 13-Aug-15 11:44:23

I would request copies of her marked papers for the C grade subject as this will show up where she lost marks. You can apply for a re-mark later if there are any obvious marking errors.
Plenty of A level pupils retake at least one AS module in Y13 and this should be possible for just one subject and still obtain places at good unis. she should be able to continue onto A2 in the C grade subject.

Impostersyndrome Thu 13-Aug-15 14:05:58

Hi Capewrath, where do you get the information that "... they discount one, like maths and further maths counted together to be one." That's not what we've been told.

DocHollywood Thu 13-Aug-15 14:11:15

There's no reason she won't get AAB next year. Students generally drop one AS anyway. Do admissions look at AS grades or go mainly on the three predicted A2 grades?

DocHollywood Thu 13-Aug-15 14:12:34

As long as the 'C' wasn't just a scrape of course!

Millymollymama Thu 13-Aug-15 14:26:30

Some will expect 4 As and will have a look at GCSEs . Just do not apply to anywhere that says 4 AS levels. Do some homework now to see where might be suitable if your original choice says it wants 4. You can always go to open days to check the situation.

Emma321q Thu 13-Aug-15 15:00:08

Could she do an extended project along side her three A2 subjects instead of taking on a new AS level?

Capewrath Fri 14-Aug-15 16:53:43

Imposter,

Will depend on which course, where.

But have heard so from admissions tutors from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, and a few others.

As I say, depends on uni/college and faculty/ course. But to be aware.

Smirkingpicnicbasket Fri 14-Aug-15 17:02:19

I got into Cardiff uni with only 3 A levels, I got an E in my chemistry AS level and just didn't declare it, admissions didn't even question it!

As long as she has the UMS points she needs from the 3 A levels it shouldn't be a problem! I wouldn't take up another subject as it will just mean a heavier workload for her, just concentrate on the other 3. The school would be best placed to advise on this!

Plus my DH got into his first choice uni without even getting the grades! Was 10 years ago now but they said his interview showed that he was ideal for a place!

ImperialBlether Fri 14-Aug-15 17:04:57

Do any universities ask for four AS grades? I've only ever seen three full A levels (So AAB for example) or points asked for.

Smirkingpicnicbasket Fri 14-Aug-15 17:06:53

Also to add; I had a major breakdown in my geography AS level (my favourite subject) and got an E grade too, my teacher would not let me re sit due to workload - I went on to get full marks in the coursework and As in the other modules and came out with an A at A2 geography!! I then went on to do a degree in Geology and am now a Geog teacher myself!! smile can be done!!

FuzzyWizard Fri 14-Aug-15 17:07:50

Some do. IIRC Warwick are a bit fussy about the fourth AS.

Capewrath Sat 15-Aug-15 01:48:45

I think Warwick us one of those that counts further maths as just really maths. For some subjects.

MrsUltracrepidarian Sat 15-Aug-15 07:38:34

Only come across one course that requires 4 A levels, and that was at Imperial College where they told is it was a specific reason - everywhere else only want 3.

ImperialBlether Sat 15-Aug-15 10:39:53

Warwick had odd requirements for Maths but as far as I could see they didn't ask for more than 3 for any other subject.

FuzzyWizard Sat 15-Aug-15 10:47:33

The one that leads up into the covered parade of shops

FuzzyWizard Sat 15-Aug-15 10:48:51

Oops wrong thread

AnneOfSleeves Sat 15-Aug-15 11:00:24

Dd bombed in her AS. BCDU, and scraped those by the skin of her teeth.
She dropped two subjects and decided to keep the subject she got B and D in. Persuaded the teachers to let her continue (all down to not working). Took on another a level as a new subject and did the two year course in one year. She's just come out with ABB - she worked her socks off.
So it can be done.

ImperialBlether Sat 15-Aug-15 11:07:23

Did she get that D up to a B then, Anne? That's amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now