Talk

Advanced search

Tutoring for Advanced Higher Maths in Glasgow

(5 Posts)
uppertonk Sat 08-Aug-15 21:30:10

Hi,

I've got a daughter moving into sixth year this August and she is taking advanced higher maths. She really needs a tutor in the subject to help her out. If anyone knows of anyone offering tutoring in and around Glasgow it would be a huge help!

prettybird Sun 09-Aug-15 10:19:01

You might get more of a response if you post in the Scotsnet topic or in Mumsnet Local - Glasgow.

Can't help as ds is only starting S4 (also in Glasgow) and so far is doing really well in his Maths and really likes his teacher (he's in the top set and has the head of maths). Physics on the other hand... hmm

Londonbased87 Mon 10-Aug-15 13:39:13

I have sent you a PM

ttlshiwwya Mon 10-Aug-15 16:34:40

Hope you find someone. I asked a friend who teaches AH Maths and tutors but she's full this year (with Higher students). She will ask around for you but few of her colleagues who tutor do AH maths. She said that students with good higher passes shouldn't really need a tutor as they should be getting the support from their school. At her school where many do AH maths - the students are good at learning from /supporting from each other. She also recommended doing AH maths and other AHs at the GCU hub if your DD is at a school with few students doing AHs as they have had good results. Also for what is worth she cautioned about using a tutor for AH Maths and then going on to study Maths or something with heavy maths content at university however she did point out that she generally tutors kids who are struggling rather than kids who have a tutor to stretch them

uppertonk Mon 10-Aug-15 22:37:49

Hi
Thanks to prettybird,Londonbased87 (pm'd u back) and ttlshiwwya

DD does need someone to either keep her at her level or improve in AH Maths. She did manage an 'A' in her Highers although after a lot of stress (what with the Qsns this year being a bit funnily worded and all that! ). But she needs to make sure of her grades in AH to make her chances better at getting what she wants in Uni.Fingers crossed for her hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now